Tire Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 07:58 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Tire Replacement?

Well it seems the original owner ran her tires too low and so now i have some uneven wear requiring me to replace at least a pair of tires soon. And NAH owners have tips on what works to maintain mileage and at least still the current level of handling? Its a rather heavy car so gotta stay safe.

Any info on what you got and affect on mileage and performace is greatly appreciated for me and future comers.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tire Replacement?

Here's a older post about the OEM tires for the hybrid:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ase-mpg-18307/

Old 10-04-2009, 12:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

thanks. so the current stock tires are not LRR...hmmm, ok but still any recommendations of replacements would be appreciated.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Enthusiast

Hi
Why dont u try www.autopartsway.ca .

Old 10-05-2009, 05:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

Whatever tires you get, you will see a significant FE increase by keeping them at sidewall pressure, not Nissan-recommended pressure...

Old 10-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yes, thanks, I am actually running them at 40psi cold. Any higher and i start to feel diminished handling when i have to take certain turns near where i live now. Though i am not a hypermiler,l i still want to make sure i don't lose FE due to getting too agressive tires and am hoping someone else has replaced theirs and has some feed back as to what their results were. Both positive and negative results would be great just to help guide my dicsion making process. So far I am leaning on either staying status quo with Continental's newer replacemnet for the contact pro, or looking at a few others i read in the other threads for civics but not sure if they come in our sizes.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2car
Hi
Why dont u try www.autoxxxxxway.ca .
a) because your post looks like obvious forum spam
b) because i am in the US and have a far better selection of places to order from
c) because you are obviously lacking in something if you cant even stay on such a simple topic.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm interested in this as well. My Altima Hybrid OEM tires have developed a slow leak and will need replacing.

According to the Sears tire guide, the Michelin Energy Saver S tires fit our car. I have always liked regular Michelins on past cars, but I have never tried their MPG efficient tires.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ok, its been awhile since I revisited this topic and since its something every driver encounters eventually, I thought I'd update.

Last time, I thought that the ContiPro that came OEM was NOT LRR...BUT after further research, I found that the 400 treadwear version that the Altimas wear from the factory ARE in fact LRR and weigh in at around 21 pounds.

By pure chance last time, I found i only needed a pair of tires to deal with an unevenly worn pair from the previous owner so figuring I only needed them for about 12k miles, I went the green route and found a matched set of USED ContiPros with about 6/32nds left ( was less than $80 for the set INSTALLED AND BALANCED + I was recycling what otherwise would immediately become waste) and rotated them into my mix. 12k miles later I have a set with 4/32 and another worn set so I started again to look, this time for a full set of take offs. NO such luck this time as new ones from Tire rack would be around $90 a pop, + shipping, + tax, +recycle fee, +install around $560 or so. Bleh...

Searched by size via ebay, craigslist and ran across a set of 95% new Bridgestone Grid 019's. High performance tire so I knew my mileage would be affected but safety is always a top priority so I looked at the price and added up the shipping and install...no tax nor recycle n used tires and voila, only around $380 on the car for tires that would be $113 a tire +++. Bit the bullet and ordered them a week ago and shipped them to my garage.

They arrived last Friday late so I inspected them. Looked like new take offs, beautiful full tread 10/32nds+ on all 4 with two a little newer even! Today I had them put on and immediately can tell the difference, both good and bad.

Good: Bridgestone Potenza Grid 019's look and feel aggressive. They make my Altima handle SO much better on turns and the car feels planted at all other times. Braking ability is definitely improved.

Bad- Immediately it is apparent that the tires have more rolling resistance, and the amount of HP it takes to maintain 35mph+ on many suburban roads requires me to feather the gas so much more otherwise the ICE kicks in. On the highway, the car's ability to coast is moderately affected as well.

The Bridgestones weigh 6-7lbs heavier each as the sidewall design is definitely stiffer and thicker. I have yet to increase pressure up to my usual 40ppi soo I shall get more apples to apples comparisons when I do that tomorrow. But for now, if its about improving mileage, the Contipros do fine, if its about performance, the Bridgestones are awesome so far...and oh yeah, my contipros were pretty quiet...these Potenza Grid 019's are even quieter!

Old 07-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

UPDATE:

have ran a couple hundred miles on these tires and they feel great so far as stability and performance goes. But it takes getting used to the added rolling resistance that comes with better traction. Mileage seems to be dropping by a couple mpg though I will not know for certain until after a new full tank. Readjusting my driving habit is making it a bit more tiring, but I do find the car is so **** quiet now that I am inching up in speed on the highway. Running at 40ppi and think I need to go up higher as max fo rthese tires is 51 so will work my way up slowly to find the best pressure for decent mileage without sacrificing too much performance.

Quick Reply: Tire Replacement?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands