Tire Reviews

Old 12-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Active Enthusiast
Exclamation Tire Reviews

As we all begin to wear through our NAH tires the time has comes to decide what new tires to put on our cars. If you have replaced your OEM tires, please tell us what you are running now and how you like it. Be sure to include the type of driving you do and location. What works best in Southern Ca. will not work in Maine.

Please start your thread with the following:

Year of your NAH
Mileage (at time of replacement)
Current Mileage on the new tires.
Make and Model of tire.
Review.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Tire Reviews

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid
80,000 miles (at time of replacement)
17,760 miles (current mileage on replacement tires)
Continental ProContact with EcoPlus

The OEM Continental ContiProContact tires were lackluster in the wet, but decent at moderate cornering speeds. I didn't expect much more from them as I thought they were low rolling resistance (LRR) tires. I was pleased however, that they lasted 80K miles and probably could have done another 10-20K miles. (I rotate the tires every 5000 miles which contributed to very even wear.) With winter approaching, I decided to switch to new tires.

I drive 176 miles round-trip daily on my 98% highway commute. When I decided to replace tires, I first went with the Yokohama Envigors. The tires were very sticky and the Altima handled very well, but I lost 2 mpg and the sidewalls were stiff. After evaluating them for 1000 miles, I decided to switch to the Continental ProContact with EcoPlus.

The Continentals were quieter than the Envigors, have about 90% of the adhesion, a bit less turn-in crispness but much better ride. I found the EcoPlus to provide the same or slighter better mileage than the OEM tire with the same ride comfort and better traction. Overall, if you're looking for a comfortable, long wearing, LRR tire, the EcoPlus is a great choice. If you're looking for better handling and roadholding and willing to sacrifice a little fuel economy, the Envigors were a good choice.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tire Reviews

2007 Nissan Altima Hybrid
58000 miles
1900 miles
Michelin X-Radial DT
P215/60R16 94T
From Costco.. $561
Seem to be getting either the same or better mileage out of the Michelins.
My commute is variable right now, so is tough to tell exact mileage.