True MPG with the AC running in a hot climate

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Need a Plug
Default Re: True MPG with the AC running in a hot climate

You are correct they are not like the belt like system in the Murano's, But I thought that many more readers might be familiar with the Murano than the ECVT however the CVT in the name it's self gives the correct in that while a split input actually:

Altima Hybrid Vehicle Control System
The hybrid vehicle control system manages and integrates control functions for the QR25DE engine, and for motor/generator 1 (MG1) and motor/generator 2 (MG2). The high-voltage battery has a nominal voltage of 244.8 volts, and a boost converter can increase the operating voltage of the system up to a maximum voltage of 650 volts. The hybrid transaxle uses a continuously variable transmission mechanism with a compound planetary gear set to split the power from both the engine and from MG2 to drive the wheels.

The hybrid vehicle control system integrates electronic throttle, anti-lock brakes, vehicle dynamic
control, regenerative braking, electric air conditioning, and other powertrain and vehicle management
functions into one unified system.The IC engine may be turned OFF when the vehicle is stopped. The engine is also turned OFF as much as possible under conditions in which the operating efficiency of the engine is poor, and the vehicle is operated using only MG2. When conditions for operating the engine efficiently are favorable, then the engine runs to provide torque to the drive wheels, and also to drive
MG1 as a generator.

Hybrid Transaxle

The hybrid transaxle uses an electronically-controlled continuously variable transmission mechanism
(eCVT) with a compound planetary gear set. There are two permanent magnet threephase
AC synchronous electric motor/generators (MG1 and MG2), and the final drive differential.
Under the control of the high voltage electronic control unit (HV-ECU), the transaxle splits
power between inputs from the IC engine and MG2. MG2 is rated at 30 kW (40 hp) @ 0 - 1500 rpm, and 270 Nm (199 lb-ft) @ 0 - 1500 rpm.

This transaxle has a three-shaft configuration. The compound gear unit (consisting of the motor
speed reduction planetary unit and a power split planetary gear unit), MG1 and MG2 are on the
mainshaft. The counter gear and the final drive gear are on the second shaft. The differential
ring gear and the differential gear unit are on the third shaft. A transaxle damper assembly with
coil springs absorbs and dampens torsional vibrations from the engine.
The compound gear unit contains a motor speed reduction planetary gear unit and a power split
planetary gear unit. The motor speed reduction planetary gear unit reduces the speed and
increases the torque from MG2. The power split planetary gear unit splits the torque of the
engine two ways: one to drive the wheels, and the other to drive the MG1, so that it can function
as a generator. The compound gear is also integrated with the parking gear.

So you see that while the differential has a fixed ration the use of 2 motors Electrically powered at different energes or even with the one being used as a variable drag generator enabling continuously variably ratios, Hence the E in ECVT.

I certainly don't mind the "request for clarification" and hope this makes the matter more understandable for the technically initiated and you are far far from nuts. PS any DC motor ihas it's maximum torque at zero RPM it is only AC motors that develop max torque at peak slip angle ( a bit below syncrous speed) beyound that they have slipped and torque drops essentially to zero.

Hope this clears some stuff up Lloyd, Please free and encouraged to prod me more or at anytime you feel I have left something out. Maybe someday we could get into why the homo-polar motor invented by John Roselle of Precise power would be such a great leap forward for both electric and hybrid car way overshadowing the Li-Po battery and leaving the silly complexities of Hydrogen in the non existent filling stations.

I do look forward to the up coming usage of low sulfur Diesel fuel in Hybrids alone with the improved batteries. The day of a 100MPG car with the AC running 100% full blast are close to being at hand, even when driving around such a lovely town as Scottsdale AZ or Palm Springs

Last edited by GripperDon; 07-06-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:13 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JTirak
Don,

If your friend is only getting 36.8 MPG there is something really wrong. That is one of the lowest MPG I ever heard of for the Prius. He should be in the mid to upper 40's at least. My niece lives in Phoenix and drives a Prias and I saw her log when she came up for a visit. She is usually getting around 50 or 52 and she doesn't hypermile. Good luck.
I live in Honolulu HI and own a 2005 Prius. I drive a mix of city and highway (about 60% city, 40% highway) and I am consistently in the low 40's (41-42 would be a fair average). Only when I hit the freeways do I see anything near 50.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Need a Plug

Going to check out everything personally. Will post what I personaly see happen. Thanks for the comments.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:12 PM
Need a Plug
Post Re: True MPG with the AC running in a hot climate

Update! Completed first tank, 484 miles. Overall MPG for first tank improved a lot near the end of the tank. (getting broken in?) My opinion of the car is still that the "Car" is the nicest Hybrid "Full size Hybrid Car" out there. It does need Fog lights, Led tail lights and Hid head lights. All would improve appearance and some would reduce energy drain.

The Hybrid Power System needs a lot of improvement. A plug, Larger Battery, Better Battery charging management. Wider range of EV operation ( higher top end and higher acceleration limit)

We will see how it goes on the second tank. IF and when it gets 34mpg, then I'll add the fogs, the Hid headlights and Led tails, all meaning I'll keep it until the new Prius comes out with Diesel, a plug and a big Li-Po battery.

Last edited by GripperDon; 07-14-2007 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:24 PM
Enthusiast

Glad to hear things are getting better Don.

I'm getting 34mpg, at about 3/4 of the way thru my first tank.

-Gren

Old 07-15-2007, 03:33 PM
Enthusiast

Just filled it:
592 miles and 16.357 gallons to fill it, so: 36.2mpg.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

We are currently getting about 34 mpg... but that's with the AC blasting and NO hypermiling... or at least very little. My husband had knee surgery several weeks ago and he isn't too focused on squeezing the best MPG out of a tank right now. He just wants to get to work and be done with the drive. When we check the meter on the tank it tells us we are getting 33.4 MPG. It's HOT days here and thankfully the AC works great.

I just wish hybrids weren't so affected by hot days and AC. Still, I'm not going to complain. Our worst tank so far was 34+ mpg... and we only have to fill the tank once a month.

Oh, and we can't take our car back for servicing to our original dealer where we bought it. THEY ARE UNDER FEDERAL INDICTMENT.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:39 AM
Need a Plug

I think I got a drunk. It guzless gas, I have the AC on 79F directed on my face and I can't get over 31.5mpg. I am a bit tired of pulse and glide, I took the long trips I was advised, I went down a long long hill and got the meter for the HV battery all and I do me all the way up to the top. I have done everything. As I said, I am tired of messing with it. When something better comes along it's history.

Too bad it's really a great car just a lousy Hybrid.

Last edited by GripperDon; 07-26-2007 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

Are you sure there isn't specifically something wrong with your car. I'm running my AC at 68 on full blast and I'm still getting 34 mpg when I'm not hypermiling. (And really our most recent tank looks like it is going to hit 36 mpg or so when I do the final division.) This is reflective of everyone I've spoken with who is driving the car... except you. You seem like a very well educated guy, so I don't think you are making any mistakes in calculation, driving, etc... and this makes me wonder if there isn't something specific about your car that is causing the problem.

I honestly think the Altima hybrid is a great car. I'm going to get a Prius for myself when the new 08s with their much hyped 95 mpg come availabe (if they ever do) but I don't consider the Altima hybrid in any way a failure, and really the only consistant problem I'm seeing in posts seems to be from you. Is there any chance there is something mechanically wrong with your car? I don't think I could get 30-31 mpg from our car if I did everything possible to deliberately down the MPG. I'm ten million miles away from being a a mechanical expert, but when your mpg results are so different from mine... it's the first thing I question. If everyone were getting your mpg... I'd say it was a bad car. But since most of us are pretty happy with our mpg... it makes me question why you are having so much rougher a time than the rest of us.

Bottom line, though - can you return the car? Here in California I'm pretty much sure a dealer would have to take the car back if the mpg were that far from what was promised.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:45 PM
Need a Plug
Default I bought the can In Temecula Calif and had it shipped to AZ

I doubt if I could return it and I am wary of taking it into the local dealer as they would not have much idea of the real milage that these cars get and I would have to print out and show them these posts. So as i said i'll just dump it. lick my wounds and get something else when the new Prius comes out. I have lost faith in Nissan.

Quick Reply: True MPG with the AC running in a hot climate

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands