True MPG with the AC running in a hot climate

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 09:34 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: True MPG with the AC running in a hot climate

Hmm, I was thinking - It might just be one bad battery screwing up the whole thing. Don't know how to access all the batteries, but if you can, test the voltage of every one.

-Gren

Old 07-27-2007, 07:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Not sure how low the temerature gets at night in Scottsdale but have you tried checking the mileage with the AC off and the windows down?

Old 07-27-2007, 08:33 PM
Need a Plug

Not yet, but i will just as soon as the temps permit. I alway use recirculate pressed which cuts of all out side hot air. also the vent is set to face vents only which sets the temp mix door to closed so the controller conly regulates the fan speed plus i set the temp to very close to 80F. These settings control the AC load to minimum all were are getting is face discharge directly on my body to stay cool with barest load on the electrical system also I cut the AC off when setting at a light so as to not drain electrical stored energy.

This is AZ and it is summer so I can't just die from the heat in the car.
A few more turn on the AC compressor motor would increase it's efficiency and is something they should have done on a Hybrid vehicle.

I'll report as soon as I can record this portion of the tank and then do a MPG reset to get an accurate mpg reading after a mid tank refill.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

After owning my NAH for about two months/2,000 miles I finally took it on some long highway drives in hot weather. Up to now most of my driving has been local/commuting with limited use of the AC and my average has been about 39.5 mpg. About five hours of driving round trip to Cape Cod and another three hours to NH and my average has been about 36 mpg - that's with the AC on and doing about 70 mph.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

We just got back from a central New Jersey to central Virginia and back trip. 620 miles on one tank at 36.6 MPG. This was 85% highway 15% city driving with the AC set to 66 and fan on level 3 for all daytime driving (about half the trip.)

Old 08-04-2007, 05:15 PM
Need a Plug

It's breaking in, It's Breaking In,, It's breaking in WOW the milage in my sig is the lifetime milage, the second tank filled today and I actually got 34.5 mpg and it says on the dash 33.8 mpg so WOW WOW WOW
I get to keep the Car I get to Keep the Car.

Old 08-04-2007, 06:46 PM
Enthusiast

Hey hey! Excellent!

-Gren

Old 08-04-2007, 07:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

AC certainly seems to make a big difference for me; on my commute, I've seen mileage as high as 39mpg (cloudy, 75 degrees) and as low as 33mpg (sunny, 92 degrees), with the AC set to automatic both times. Same time, same route, same driving style - only the weather was different.

This seems like a bigger mileage penalty than I'd expect in a conventional car (although it is tough to know, since my last car didn't report trip MPG), but I guess that makes sense - if the energy demands for the AC are the same, but the rest of the car is more efficient, the AC will have a bigger impact.

Glad to see your mileage is improving.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:45 AM
HypoFueler

Yep - AC will really pull down FE, especially if you are driving for high FE (like at 50-60mph). I did some tests in my HCH2 - posted under fuel economy forums.

Turning ON AC (to max) at 55mph pulled down FE as much as just speeding up to 68mph without AC. 17mpg impact in either case (66 -->49).

I would expect for the NAH (and all vehicles) that FE will go down as you (1) speed up past 50mph and/or (2) use the AC.

Last edited by spartybrutus; 08-05-2007 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:51 PM
Need a Plug

I ran test also. found recirculate help a good bit and turn off rear vents, direct air on you and can set to 79-81 and be cool.

Quick Reply: True MPG with the AC running in a hot climate

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands