True MPG with the AC running in a hot climate

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 09:39 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: True MPG with the AC running in a hot climate

The first gen civics won't run the A/C during autostop but the second generation will (for a few minutes anyway). The A/C is cold enough for front passengers but I agree it gets a lil warm for people in the back (I know this since I let my mom drive my car for 1 whole day around Houston and the good news is even though she drives a Mercedes C class normally she didn't hurt my MPG much during that whole day).

I've personally not seen it get hot enough to stop the battery from shutting down to protect itself but then I have parking garage at work. I do like the new Altimas though, especially the climate control LED readouts in the dial itself. I just wished the rear turn signal lighted up the whole thing instead of just the tip!

Old 08-29-2007, 04:10 PM
Enthusiast

I just recently bought a NAH this last weekend and have been having alot of fun driving it. Like GripperDon, I too am here in Phoenix where we have set a new record today of having 28 days of 110+ degrees! Because it's been hot, of course we use the air conditioner.

Don, one of the things I think I figured out is that the EV mode kicks in better when the AC is not on full-blast. I also have a Pathfinder and when it's hot, I get in and hit the "AUTO" button that blasts the A/C to cool it down to the temperature desired. Because it wasn't as hot this last weekend, I tried a couple of things. First, I made a trip to the store a few miles away with the A/C on high to see about what speed the EV mode would kick in as I slowly decelerated - and it kicked in about the 10-15 mph range. When I got home, I made the same trip (since I had the A/C on full before, the car was pretty much cooled off) with the AC on only the second light setting (about medium) - and the EV kicked in about the 30-35 mph range. It seems to me, and it seems to make sense to me, that the level of air conditioning definitely plays a direct role in ability to drive in the EV mode because of the drain caused by the A/C.

So, if you have your car in a temperature controlled garage, when you leave, try turning your A/C on a lower setting and having the vents blowing directly on you to see if you run in EV mode more often and increase your MPG. Just a suggestion from a (very) newbie.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:03 PM
Need a Plug

I Rocco
"So, if you have your car in a temperature controlled garage, when you leave, try turning your A/C on a lower setting and having the vents blowing directly on you to see if you run in EV mode more often and increase your MPG. Just a suggestion from a (very) newbie."

I always have done just that, I have the rear AC vents off and the temps set to 80, vents on me in Auto.

By the way make sure you have it on recirculate to not have to cool down that 111F we had today. I keep the garage at about 80F. Be sure you trully pulse up using the ICE at moderate accel (don't let the batteries get you up to speed) to desired speed and then cruse along at sub 40mph if possible. Problem for me I live near Shea Blvd and 112 st and everyone drive 50+ it seems on all the streets and accelerate like fiends from the light. One other item TINT the windows. I use the germans stuff and it is wonderfull.

Did you get a sunroof? I got mine sent over from Calif, where did you get yours?

Old 08-29-2007, 07:28 PM
Enthusiast

Just made a trip from OC to Vegas and back today, I must say I now feel your pain............

105-110f all day, 75MPH cruise w AC @ 77f = 30.2 mpg

The heat just KILLS, period!