Where to find Electrical System Specs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 12:40 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Where to find Electrical System Specs?

Where can I find detailed specs on the electrical system in the NAH?

So far all I know is that the electric motor is 30kW (though according to one source the motor itself is far more powerful but is electronically limited to 30kW). I don't know anything about the battery capacity, voltage, cells configuration, wiring, etc...

Also are the electrical components in the NAH, TCH, and Prius all the same?

Thanks in advance,
--A

Old 03-12-2008, 06:16 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Where to find Electrical System Specs?

motor: 199 lb-ft @ 0 — 1,500 rpm (105 kW @ 4,500 rpm)
battery: 244.8V 6.5Ah 30kW(40HP) 204cells 34modules(7.2V)

It looks the NAH borrows from TCH electrical system, and Prius is different.
http://www.nissanusa.com/altima/specifications.html
http://pressroom.toyota.com/presstxt...ryHybrid_s.pdf
http://pressroom.toyota.com/presstxt...008Prius_s.pdf

Ken@Japan

Old 03-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ken1784
motor: 199 lb-ft @ 0 — 1,500 rpm (105 kW @ 4,500 rpm)
battery: 244.8V 6.5Ah 30kW(40HP) 204cells 34modules(7.2V)

Ken@Japan

Thanks!

Too bad the battery pack only supports 30kW... It looks like toyota overdesigned the electrical system so that in future models they can just swap in a better battery pack and keep everything else exactly the same! With 105kW on the electrical motor, the car would be able to get up to freeway speeds with ease.

I wonder why the TCH seems to be getting slightly better mpg than the NAH. They both have the same electrical systems, and the TCH is 206lbs heavier than the NAH. The only other big difference is the gasoline engine, but I can't imagine the toyota one to be that much more efficient (to make up for the extra weight of the car)

[EDIT]
I though the Prius's shape was supposed to make it less resistant to drag... Yet comparing the drag coefficient on the specs:
TCH: .27
Prius: .26 LOL Thats not much of a difference !

Last edited by ILoveChess100; 03-12-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by ILoveChess100
Thanks!

Too bad the battery pack only supports 30kW... It looks like toyota overdesigned the electrical system so that in future models they can just swap in a better battery pack and keep everything else exactly the same! With 105kW on the electrical motor, the car would be able to get up to freeway speeds with ease.
Please be aware that there is another electric power generated by MG1 other than the battery power, therefore the 105kW max motor power is not overdesigned.

In contrast, Honda IMA system has only one motor, so the battery power is equal to motor power, 15kW(20HP) on HCH.

Ken@Japan

Old 03-13-2008, 01:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

Please be aware that there is another electric power generated by MG1 other than the battery power, therefore the 105kW max motor power is not overdesigned.

In contrast, Honda IMA system has only one motor, so the battery power is equal to motor power, 15kW(20HP) on HCH.

Ken@Japan

Whats the MG1? Regenarative braking?

When accelerating in EV mode though, the electric motor can't go any higher than 30kW due to the limitations on the batteries, no?

Old 03-13-2008, 02:07 AM

Whats the MG1? Regenarative braking?
It is motor/generator-1, not regenerative braking.
The Toyota HSD system has two MG's.
MG1(generator): start engine, generate electricity by 28% of engine torque
MG2(motor): drive vehicle using battery and/or MG1's power, regenerate electricity by braking or accelerator off position
Please refer to following material.
http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/tech/envi...Reports_12.pdf
When accelerating in EV mode though, the electric motor can't go any higher than 30kW due to the limitations on the batteries, no?
You're correct when you drive in EV mode.
However, please understand that the NAH is not an EV. It is gas/electric hybrid vehicle.
The heavy use of battery power(EV mode) worsen your fuel economy.
The famous Pulse&Glide technique tells us avoiding to use the battery power.

Ken@Japan

Old 03-13-2008, 08:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

However, please understand that the NAH is not an EV. It is gas/electric hybrid vehicle.
The heavy use of battery power(EV mode) worsen your fuel economy.
The famous Pulse&Glide technique tells us avoiding to use the battery power.

Ken@Japan

Thank you (once again) for the materials on the motor information. I orignally though that the MG2 just hooked up to the transmission in reverse while the gasoline engine is going in order to charge. But that is completely wrong as there is a separate generator which handles that.

The point I was trying to make about EV though is that the MG2 is capable of accelarating to freeway speeds, even maintaining freeway speed if the batteries were able to provide enough juice. Thats also what I meant when I said that Toyota is 'overdesigning' , because the moment better battery technology arrives, Toyota can just swap in the Batteries and let the software unlock all the capabilities of the electrical motor at higher speeds.

As for techniques to get best MPG, yes simply accelerating and staying in EV mode as long as possible hurts fuel economy... EV should be used only for cruising, never for aceclerating...

Old 03-14-2008, 01:25 PM

Thank you (once again) for the materials on the motor information. I orignally though that the MG2 just hooked up to the transmission in reverse while the gasoline engine is going in order to charge. But that is completely wrong as there is a separate generator which handles that.
Yes, the HSD system is very sophisticate, no clutch and no "wear and tear" parts, comparing to Honda IMA and GM two-mode system.
The point I was trying to make about EV though is that the MG2 is capable of accelarating to freeway speeds, even maintaining freeway speed if the batteries were able to provide enough juice. Thats also what I meant when I said that Toyota is 'overdesigning' , because the moment better battery technology arrives, Toyota can just swap in the Batteries and let the software unlock all the capabilities of the electrical motor at higher speeds.
Again, your NAH is gas/electric hybrid vehicle and it is not an EV or plug-in HV. All your NAH energy comes from gasoline.
It is not efficient to accelarate to freeway speed using the battery power.
(Please remember the P&G technique. Pulse by engine!)
It is not efficient to maintain vehicle at freeway speed by battery power. It needs approx 15kW battery power to do that, which means you use the batery energy a lot, then you'll see a rebound (consuming a lot of gasoline to recharge the battery later).
That's why people are saying a heavy use of battery power is your enemy.
EV should be used only for cruising, never for aceclerating...
Yes. EV should be used only for cruising below 40 miles per hour.

Ken@Japan