Winter is coming

Old 09-06-2007, 05:41 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Winter is coming

While there are a number of posts on this forum dealing with the hot weather I'm getting ready for the inevitable - winter in New England.

I've installed oil pan heaters on my last four vehicles and they seem to really make a difference with warm ups/fuel economy. The NAH presented a problem in that it doesn't have a flat smooth surface on the bottom of the oil pan - it has sort of a ribbed surface. I looked around and purchased a 125W stick on oil pan heater from Wolverine that's 6 in x 1 & 1/2 in and will just fit on the front edge of the oil pan.

After plugging it in for about two hours the end of the dipstick feels nice and warm. I've noticed that when I tested it on a cold engine that the blue temperature light goes out sooner - about 1/2 a mile instead of about 3/4 - but the outside temp was only about 45 degrees. It doesn't heat the coolant but it still seems to speed up the warm up plus I'd rather have warm oil instead of warm coolant to help the engine wear less.

http://www.wolverineheater.com/

Old 09-07-2007, 08:44 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Winter is coming

Another possibility is to use an engine block heater - if the Altima provides for one.

A lot of Prius owners a using engine block heaters to do just that. Keep the car warm to improve fuel economy in cold weather.

But Toyota USA didn't provide much help. The Prius owners had to check with Canada to find out that the car did have provisions for an engine block heater. They then were able to order the heaters. (The heaters are made and shipped from Canada!)

And to top it off, the service manual doesn't show where the heater goes! People had to figure that one out too!

Old 08-19-2008, 01:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

So, I ended up buying the Nissan Altima engine block heater that is stock in Canadian Altimas. It's being delivered to me for $80. But, looks like it will cost another $150+ to install.

Has anyone compared the engine block heater (coolant) style to the oil pan heater style? I wonder which provides the best fuel efficiency improvements?

Thanks,
Eph

Old 09-16-2008, 05:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

Has anybody been able to get the EBH for the NAH?
The source I had placed an order with is stating that the cordset is backordered from Nissan with no ETA.

Please let me know if you have a source. The mornings are getting cold, and it's already taking me too long to get into EV Mode!

Eph

Old 09-25-2008, 04:40 AM
Site Sponsor

Don't forget to use 0W-20 engine oil as recommended in the owner's manual.
This is a low viscosity oil that is recommended for most hybrids.
- For increased fuel economy
- For better cold start performance

You will need to specifically request the 0W-20 at the dealership since most do not stock it.
If the Nissan dealership does not have it, you can check Toyota or Honda dealerships as well.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

What are the options for low-viscosity transmission fluid? The manual recommends the Nissan CVT fluid, but a footnote also indicates that "Dexron VI" is an option. From what I read, Dexron VI type ATF's are very low viscosity. But, my dealer was clueless on this, probably cause they want me to buy the Nissan CVT fluid!

Any insights?

Eph

Old 09-25-2008, 11:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cephraim
What are the options for low-viscosity transmission fluid? The manual recommends the Nissan CVT fluid, but a footnote also indicates that "Dexron VI" is an option. From what I read, Dexron VI type ATF's are very low viscosity. But, my dealer was clueless on this, probably cause they want me to buy the Nissan CVT fluid!

Any insights?

Eph
stick to nissan CVT fluid! not worth the headache to search some other type of compatible CVT fluid

Old 09-25-2008, 11:22 AM
Site Sponsor

Any insights?

Eph
The Nissan CVT is expensive - $16-18 per QUART!
ENEOS is another option manufactured by Nippon Oil.
They supply many of the Asian automakers including Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi. www.eneos.us

The ENEOS CVT is compatible with many metal-belt CVTs including Nissan.
Here is a compatibility chart: http://www.eneos.us/products.php?pk=8

Your Nissan dealership may already have the ENEOS CVT in stock.
It is more reasonable - $10 per QUART

Last edited by skoh; 09-25-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks. But, isn't any of the Dexron VI formulations also compatible, according to the User Manual?

Old 09-25-2008, 12:31 PM
Site Sponsor

Thanks. But, isn't any of the Dexron VI formulations also compatible, according to the User Manual?
OK - If that is what the owner's manual says.
But, I don't know many Nissan dealerships that stock the GM Dexron VI.

If you are a (Do-It-Yourselfer), here is an on-line source of GM Dexron VI:
http://chrysanstore.com/gmdeviatfr34.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Winter is coming

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands