Winter is coming

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 12:41 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Winter is coming

Good deal - but a large quantity.
I read elsewhere that Walmart carries a quart container of Dexron VI for under $4!

Old 09-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

it is my HIGH RECOMMENDATION that you just bend over and buy the Nissan CVT fluid. you do not want to do anything that will kill your CVT's warranty. in 9-2 of the manual, it says....

Electronically controlled Continuously Variable Transmission fluid - Genuine NISSAN Matic W ATF *4

*4: Use only Genuine NISSAN Matic W ATF. Using transmission fluid other than Genuine NISSAN Matic W ATF will damage the eCVT.

and it is purposely bolded on the manual...the only footnote to be bolded.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

But, why would they have the other comment about Dexron VI? And, does anybody know the differences between these two?

Old 09-26-2008, 10:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cephraim
But, why would they have the other comment about Dexron VI? And, does anybody know the differences between these two?
can you guide me to where it says that on the manual? I can't find it

Old 09-27-2008, 06:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

Sorry for the delay. I had to check the manual that came with my car. I had read the Dexron VI footnote in the online manual at nissanhelp.com. The one that came with my car doesn't have that footnote.

Also, a "Nissan Tech" over there confirmed for me in this thread what you guys are saying. Stick with the Nissan CVT fluid.

Thanks!
Eph

Old 09-27-2008, 12:55 PM
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by langjie
it is my HIGH RECOMMENDATION that you just bend over and buy the Nissan CVT fluid. you do not want to do anything that will kill your CVT's warranty. in 9-2 of the manual, it says....

Electronically controlled Continuously Variable Transmission fluid - Genuine NISSAN Matic W ATF *4

*4: Use only Genuine NISSAN Matic W ATF. Using transmission fluid other than Genuine NISSAN Matic W ATF will damage the eCVT.

and it is purposely bolded on the manual...the only footnote to be bolded.
This seems like it is violating the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act where there is a "tie-in sales provision."
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/.../warranty.shtm

"You have to use my fluid at $16-18 per quart otherwise your warranty is void." Any comments from Nissan on this?

Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.
In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.
While you cannot use a tie-in sales provision, your warranty need not cover use of replacement parts, repairs, or maintenance that is inappropriate for your product. The following is an example of a permissible provision that excludes coverage of such things.
While necessary maintenance or repairs on your AudioMundo Stereo System can be performed by any company, we recommend that you use only authorized AudioMundo dealers. Improper or incorrectly performed maintenance or repair voids this warranty.
** In short, there are other compatible CVT fluids out there that meet the Nissan CVT specification as well as other CVTF specifications.

See Nippon Oil's ENEOS - CVTF. Nippon Oil supplies many of the Asian automakers - including Nissan on a global basis.
http://www.eneos.us/products.php?pk=8

Old 09-28-2008, 06:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

I would assume that because the transaxle is the same as Toyota's (or at least the technology is licensed) that you'd be able to use the Toyota's ATF WS that's specified for use in the Prius and TCH.

Here's a Prius link that talks about Toyota ATF WS. Someone reported being able to buy it from a Toyota dealer for about $5.00 a quart:

http://priuschat.com/forums/care-mai...-question.html

It also mentions that because the electric motor windings are exposed to the ATF that you don't want to use the wrong fluid.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skoh
** In short, there are other compatible CVT fluids out there that meet the Nissan CVT specification as well as other CVTF specifications.

See Nippon Oil's ENEOS - CVTF. Nippon Oil supplies many of the Asian automakers - including Nissan on a global basis.
this is more of a gray area. if you can find something with the exact specifications, then I think you're good, but if you try to put regular ATF in that's not made for CVT's, I think if the transmission breaks, you should burden the responsbility. and i'm sure they can send transmission fluid samples out to confirm the use of the specified liquid.

if you used the eneos ATF and they say that their ATF is fine for the NAH and the transmission goes, then it should be eneos' wallet that should be hit.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:59 AM
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by langjie
this is more of a gray area. if you can find something with the exact specifications, then I think you're good, but if you try to put regular ATF in that's not made for CVT's, I think if the transmission breaks, you should burden the responsbility. and i'm sure they can send transmission fluid samples out to confirm the use of the specified liquid.

if you used the eneos ATF and they say that their ATF is fine for the NAH and the transmission goes, then it should be eneos' wallet that should be hit.
This is the same would go for engine oil. For example, Ford can recommend MotorCraft or an <equivalent> specification - meets API SM...

So, if someone decides to use Mobil, Amsoil, or other equivalent product other than MotorCraft, it should not void the warranty.

Nippon Oil is the largest oil company in Japan and the 8th largest in the world. The ENEOS CVTF is not their standard ATF. It is specifically for metal-belt CVTs. The compatibility chart identifies which CVTs this fluid is designed for and which CVTs it is not.

By the way, my understanding is the Nissan Powertrain warranty is 5 years / 60,000 miles. So, if you are past 60,000 miles, the warranty has expired anyway.

It is tough to swallow having to change your CVT Fluid at $16-18 / quart when you may need 8 quarts to change the fluid = >$140 for the fluid alone. I have seen CVT fluid flushes for >$300 at some Nissan Dearlerships. - ouch!

Old 09-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Active Enthusiast

NISSAN Matic W ATF is technically not listed on that list. It may be equivalent to the NS-2 fluid, but for reasons like this, it is easier to swallow the extra $48-72 you are spending for the CVT fluid flush to not have to deal with this. at least you really don't need to change the fluid for 60,000+ miles