Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Motor Corporation (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-motor-corporation-59/)
-   -   2009 Camry Hybrid ABS problem (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-motor-corporation-59/2009-camry-hybrid-abs-problem-31825/)

murti 01-14-2019 01:35 PM

2009 Camry Hybrid ABS problem

It was jump started using the manual procedure, by jumping the 12V battery in the back. We had to do this on two occasions because the battery died twice. The first time it's speculated from the cold and the second time was from leaving the lights on. However, after the first jump starting, it worked just fine.

After the second jump, all the indicator lights on the dash (ABS, brake, main red triangle with ! in the center alert, etc.) turned on and the brakes didn't work immediately. When you brake, the car jerks and then stops eventually. Autozone says its throwing ABS codes, the dealer said it's an ECU problem. The "check VSC system" warning is also on. There are no weird sounds that I can tell of nor driving doesn't feel funny, despite the braking problem.

Any suggestions?

S Keith 01-14-2019 06:22 PM

Re: 2009 Camry Hybrid ABS problem

Replace 12V battery.

murti 01-21-2019 02:35 PM

I got a new battery, the optima yellowtop to replace the camry battery, but went to the auto parts store and the folks there strongly advised against replacing the battery myself. I've watched a couple of videos multiple times and read up on how to do it. But they said it takes at least 3 people to do it correctly and could result in death...is that being eccentric or are there other risks I'm unaware of?

S Keith 01-21-2019 02:48 PM

Essentially, they are complete jacka$$es. They likely have it confused with the hybrid battery, but their position is also untrue in that situation.

Consider also if the Optima Yellow Top is the proper fit for the Camry.

Lastly, consider if the 7 year warranty on the factory battery is worth the premium.

Personally, I won't use Optima batteries. IMHO, junk.