Toyota Motor Corporation Lexus and Toyota Hybrids

2010 Prius severe knocking and shaking at startup

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 11:09 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2010 Prius severe knocking and shaking at startup

I have a 2010 Prius that will randomly shake and knocking for a few seconds upon starting then seems to smooth out after a few seconds. Anyone else experience that?

Old 04-18-2019, 11:21 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2010 Prius severe knocking and shaking at startup

In no particular order:

Plugs
Coils
Dirty throttle body
dirty MAF sensor
bad gas

Plugs and coils will usually show P030X (x=0, 1, 2, 3, 4 in any combination) codes and/or a flashing CEL.

Old 06-13-2020, 05:57 AM
Enthusiast

HAS ANYONE DISCOVERED THESE TO BE A SOLUTION!?
ive had mine a month or less we told the sellers it does this - I Love my car & want to continue loving it! Im tired of duds!

Q

S Keith;267857]In no particular order:

Plugs
Coils
Dirty throttle body
dirty MAF sensor
bad gas

Plugs and coils will usually show P030X (x=0, 1, 2, 3, 4 in any combination) codes and/or a flashing CEL.[/QUOTE]

Old 06-13-2020, 06:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

There is no one solution. The condition is too vague. Everything I listed is a possibility.

Additionally, given the tendency for the Gen3 Prius to blow head gaskets, this could be a cause too. A small leak in the head gasket could slowly fill one or more cylinders and foul the plug. The plug fails to ignite on several revolutions until there is some heat into the engine causing the coolant to evaporate. Eventually the plug starts to spark regularly and burns off the coolant in the cylinder and starts running normally.

Possible symptoms resulting from a blown/leaking head gasket:
  • One or more spark plugs may be wet with coolant.
  • The car may blow a little white smoke while it's burning off the coolant.
  • Coolant may get into the motor oil - usually creates a coffee with creamer color and possible foam.

Here's your real answer: Take your car to a mechanic. You're not going to get an actual answer until you have a professional actually assess the problem. You're just going to get speculation, and since you're not getting the answer you want, you're just going to continue to NOT address the problem.