Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Motor Company/Acura (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-motor-company-acura-60/)
-   -   Extended Warranty Shopping (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-motor-company-acura-60/extended-warranty-shopping-30506/)

stryker2 09-21-2015 11:18 AM

Extended Warranty Shopping

I just bought a 2015 Honda Accord Hybrid and want to competitively price a Honda Care extended warranty.

Although I'm aware of the conventional wisdom that an extended warranty is not a good value, I'd rest easier with coverage.

What is the best strategy to obtain a Honda Care extended warranty? My dealer does not offer the Honda extended warranty and is about to sell out to an out of state corporation. Several years ago there were some Toyota dealers who sold competitive Toyota extended warrantees by phone/mail on a nationwide basis.

Does anyone know of a dealership that offers competitive pricing on Honda Care warrantees? What is the typical mark-up in price if I plan on negotiating the price of the warranty?

S Keith 09-21-2015 12:17 PM

Re: Extended Warranty Shopping

Nothing specific, but I have a suggestion.

When we bought our '06 HCH2 in 2010, we contemplated an extended warranty. We received verbal assurance that the Dealer-offered extended warranty covered hybrid components. I insisted on getting it in writing. As I continued to press, I was eventually informed it didn't cover it. We passed.

Make sure any extended warranty covers the hybrid components.

Slowregal 12-24-2016 07:59 PM

I got 6 year wrap 120k for $1235 but it was on a new one. I know it was 190 over cost cause my sister in NY got me the cost to tell me if I was a good deal. Just tell them you will only pay 100 over cost and see what they say.

S Keith 12-25-2016 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Slowregal (Post 261463)
I got 6 year wrap 120k for $1235 but it was on a new one. I know it was 190 over cost cause my sister in NY got me the cost to tell me if I was a good deal. Just tell them you will only pay 100 over cost and see what they say.

You've replied to a 15 month old thread.

My comments still apply. Make absolutely certain that an extended warranty covers the hybrid components, especially the battery. I've NEVER seen one that does.

The battery is regarded as a consumable, much like tires, so they exclude it.

Slowregal 12-25-2016 04:32 PM

You suck at looking then cause Honda's HondaCare does cover it. It is an exclusionary contract which is unless it says it isn't covered then it is covered. It specifically mentions the Hybrid battery as covered as to not confuse it with the conventional battery. Now I was told this is to be updated to include the lithium ion battery.

http://www.honda-extended-warranty.com/Coverage.aspx

S Keith 12-25-2016 04:56 PM

LOL... well, I also don't buy new cars because that's one of the worst financial decisions one can make. Sounds like you're really happy with your new purchase.

Sounds like you'll be bitter for the next 120K miles. Good luck with that.

Slowregal 12-25-2016 07:00 PM

We use to be that way until GM couldn't fix my warrantied used car and didn't want to buy it back either since it wasn't covered by lemon law.

We took into consideration depreciation which is very good on Honda, cost of gas per mile which on the accord is .04/mile

Lastly if we aren't happy we are protected by lemon law if they can't fix it. Tuesday they are addressing the issues I am having with the stability of my car.

Now for the bad decisions I am 32 my wife is 29. I own my house free and clear no mortgage, and owe 5,000 on this car. I have absolutely 0 debt to anyone so for someone who doesn't have much then yes a new car is probably a bad idea. For me I appreciate peace of mind and since I am in very good financial standings I dont have to worry about bad mistakes, besides the accord will only lose like 3k in the first 10k miles after that the depreciation is minor.

S Keith 12-25-2016 08:33 PM

Good for you. I think I heard you do your debt free scream. Sorry you're stuck with a car you hate for the next 120K.

Slowregal 12-25-2016 09:33 PM

I'll live, and I can always get my lemon law and not lose a penny. Sorry you never did your homework to find a warranty that covered your hybrid battery.

At least now you can say you have seen a warranty that covers it. Btw I worked for Toyota for ten years and ToyotaCare also covers the hybrid battery, along with the inverter.

And I am not stuck with anything I dont want to be stuck with

I did the research and if I sell this car the warranty is transferable which means I can command more dollars. Besides I can have the warranty bought back within 30 days. And if the car gets bought back I can transfer the warranty to another car.

Maybe you should read up more before proclaiming that warranties dont cover stuff because they do. But you being cost conscious means you cheap out at every turn and probably buy the crap Zurich warranty which the dealer makes a ton on. The Honda dealer wouldnt even offer the Honda warranty, I had to ask for it because they dont make money on it.

so don't take your crap research skills out on me. Just take the fact that you can get a quality warranty for an affordable price and run with it.

if I'm not happy with my car in a week, I wont be stuck with it. Hence Lemon Law protection. And me being from the field I know what a manufacturer will lemon and what they wont. And a swaying issue and driveability concern will lemon out.

I'm sorry that you have to pinch your pennies.

Slowregal 12-25-2016 09:37 PM

Oh ps Hondacare is sold on used cars too.