Honda Motor Company/Acura Honda hybrids

Hey all, question about IMA light and smog test

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 11:33 AM
Enthusiast
Default Hey all, question about IMA light and smog test

Hey all,
I recently purchases a 2002 Honda Civic Hybrid with the IMA light on. There were no other lights on.
I diden't think this was too big a deal since the car still gets decent mpgs.
I just found out that this IMA light may prevent me from passing smog.
Can anybody tell me if the IMA light is a barrier to passing their smog test in the state of California?
It doesn't make sense to me since the battery should not have anything to do with emissions output but I cannot be sure.
Could someone please advise me?
Thank you.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hey all, question about IMA light and smog test

There is no such thing as a 2002 Honda Civic Hybrid. It's possible you have a 2003 that was manufactured in late 2002.

In the state of CA, a seller is legally obligated to provide a smog certificate.

If the IMA light is on, the check engine light is on. If the check engine light isn't on, the check engine light bulb may be burned out. There are some rare cases where you get IMA without CEL. Whatever the case, you should drive to the nearest O'Reilly auto parts store to have your codes read.

The battery is a component of the hybrid system. The hybrid system is a component of the emissions system. If a component of the emissions system fails, you can't pass emissions.

Think of it this way - if a failed battery prevents the car from getting the rated mpg, then it is impacting emissions. It doesn't matter that the mpgs are "decent". It's not getting rated mpgs based on EPA tests.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have figured out a way to get rid of the IMA battery codes and allow the system reset so there is no sign of messing with them and give about a 30 mile window to get the car inspected.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:24 PM

https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f...tml#post268230

Old 06-18-2019, 05:47 PM
Enthusiast

Hey Keith,sorry to see you shut down your pm,,we chat on the other forum,,but am try pass smog in Maryland and am getting the 1449 code. And o420 pending code,,both go off about 5 miles after resetting the 12 volt,,any help would be great,,,I don't have a charger on this car,,have a Genesis one charger but no harness for 2003 civic,,harness is on the insight,,also try get a harness made to be able to discharge the battery,,any help would be a great help.thank you

Old 06-18-2019, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by hybrid442
Hey Keith,sorry to see you shut down your pm,,we chat on the other forum,,but am try pass smog in Maryland and am getting the 1449 code. And o420 pending code,,both go off about 5 miles after resetting the 12 volt,,any help would be great,,,I don't have a charger on this car,,have a Genesis one charger but no harness for 2003 civic,,harness is on the insight,,also try get a harness made to be able to discharge the battery,,any help would be a great help.thank you
Replace your cat or get an anti-fouler plug.

Replace battery or get a harness for the HCH and grid charge. Discharging without charging to full first is a GREAT way to kill a battery.

Old 10-18-2019, 11:27 AM
Enthusiast

please tell me how