Hey all, question about IMA light and smog test - GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars

Honda Motor Company/Acura Honda hybrids

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-06-2017, 12:33 PM
Enthusiast

Default Hey all, question about IMA light and smog test

Hey all,
I recently purchases a 2002 Honda Civic Hybrid with the IMA light on. There were no other lights on.
I diden't think this was too big a deal since the car still gets decent mpgs.
I just found out that this IMA light may prevent me from passing smog.
Can anybody tell me if the IMA light is a barrier to passing their smog test in the state of California?
It doesn't make sense to me since the battery should not have anything to do with emissions output but I cannot be sure.
Could someone please advise me?
Thank you.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Default Re: Hey all, question about IMA light and smog test

There is no such thing as a 2002 Honda Civic Hybrid. It's possible you have a 2003 that was manufactured in late 2002.

In the state of CA, a seller is legally obligated to provide a smog certificate.

If the IMA light is on, the check engine light is on. If the check engine light isn't on, the check engine light bulb may be burned out. There are some rare cases where you get IMA without CEL. Whatever the case, you should drive to the nearest O'Reilly auto parts store to have your codes read.

The battery is a component of the hybrid system. The hybrid system is a component of the emissions system. If a component of the emissions system fails, you can't pass emissions.

Think of it this way - if a failed battery prevents the car from getting the rated mpg, then it is impacting emissions. It doesn't matter that the mpgs are "decent". It's not getting rated mpgs based on EPA tests.