Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Motor Company/Acura (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-motor-company-acura-60/)
-   -   Removing cabin filter for better air flow? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-motor-company-acura-60/removing-cabin-filter-better-air-flow-27863/)

noflash 06-20-2012 06:19 AM

Removing cabin filter for better air flow?

I'm sure this is a terrible idea, but I am sweating my *** off waiting for the car to cool down.

My current air filter is less than 6 months old (4?).

Temps are hitting the upper 90s and after baking in the parking lot all day I find the airflow lacking in trying to cool down the cabin. With the fan on high I removed the filter from the glove box and there was a noticeable increase in airflow.

The filter did not appear dirty. There were a couple seeds but you could see daylight through it. I knocked it on the pavement a couple times to know anything loose that could be.

I notice the same thing in the coldest months when heating the cabin. I want more airflow.

So, how bad is it to run without?

Or...

Is there some high-flow filter?

Thanks, nf

Harold 06-20-2012 08:02 AM

Re: Removing cabin filter for better air flow?

When did cars start using filters on in-coming air ? 1995-2000 there about. Just remember in dusty conditions to put the air on recirculate. My 2006 has lots of air cir.. Maybe you have a blockage? Hal

noflash 06-25-2012 05:48 AM

For $15, I replaced the filter with one from Autozone. Much easier pill to swallow than the $60 Honda one. Seems the airflow is a bit better. This afternoon ought to be the real test.

Cheers, nf

Harold 06-25-2012 06:23 AM

Hope that works for you! Probably will. H

Gairwyn 06-25-2012 11:30 AM

noflash,

I wonder if the previous cabin air filter might have been placed in upside-down? There are arrows on the filters that indicate the direction of air flow; the direction of the arrows should match those on the casing that you place the filters into. If one or both of the filters (there are 2 in the HCH I, not sure if you guys have 1 or 2 in your model) had been placed in the wrong direction, maybe that impeded the air flow. Just a thought.