General Motors Corporation Chevrolet, GMC and Saturn hybrids

2009 Sierra hybrid/Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 09:43 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2009 Sierra hybrid/Silverado

I just purchased 2009 Sierra hybrid 4X4. List $42,900 with all rebates and best deal $36,350. GM credit card points and a great trade in for 2003 Sonoma made a deal I could not refuse from GM. This is my 1st full size pickup in 20 years.
3-days of driving the Sierra has been great. The v8-v4-electric mode is seamless in operation. It is great driving around in electric mode in such a large vehicle. Light pedal pressure keeps electric mode working under 30mph. I know 20mpg isn't great but this is a huge vehicle and with the right touch I expect better mpgs. I also own a 2005 Honda Accord hybrid IMA that gets great mpg but electric mode in the Sierra is a whole different experience.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:28 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2009 Sierra hybrid/Silverado

am seriously interested in getting one of these trucks, test drove one a few weeks ago. 2 hybrids have been sitting at the local dealer untouched for 3 months, parked out back. When I test drove it, the guy said it hadn't been started in 2 months.

Just searching the internet now to see how current owners like their trucks.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:02 AM
Enthusiast

I just pick up a Sierra Hybrid. $5500 of the sticker price and another $3500 from CFC. It's not the color I wanted but it was the only one in 800 miles radius so the choices were limited and I didn't want to wait because the CFC money was likely to run out. I don't think GM really wanted to sell a lot of these because there are so few on the lots. So far with 40 miles on it I got 20.3 mpg city/highway, according to the on board display. The real test will be after I get a few tank in it to see if that is an accurate reading. I can feel the shift from electric to gas but if I wasn't looking for it I wouldn't notice it.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Enthusiast

Hello All,

I too recently purchased a Chevy Silverado Hybrid 2wd truck. I'm loving it. The MPG is a bit low, but I am only on my 3rd fill up. So, I'm hoping it is going to improve over time. Right now, I am running about 18.5 MPG. Of course, that's far better than the 13-14 MPG of my 1994 suburban. I am very pleased with the truck. I got it under cash for clunkers, so with that and chevy rebates, my out of pocket was 29K.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:16 PM
kaa
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by warp9now
Hello All,

I too recently purchased a Chevy Silverado Hybrid 2wd truck. I'm loving it. The MPG is a bit low, but I am only on my 3rd fill up. So, I'm hoping it is going to improve over time. Right now, I am running about 18.5 MPG. Of course, that's far better than the 13-14 MPG of my 1994 suburban. I am very pleased with the truck. I got it under cash for clunkers, so with that and chevy rebates, my out of pocket was 29K.
I also like the Chevrolet

Old 02-16-2012, 10:23 PM
Enthusiast

Hi All;
I just purchased an 09 Chevy Silverado Hybrid crew cab 4wd truck. so far after a week and 2 tanks of gas, I found the computer system to be very accurate. I drive 110 Km every day to work and have be averaging 11.4 Liters per 100Km..20.3mpg.

My only concern so far would be the battery life.. Not sure if the battery in the truck is working properly or not. Any way of finding out? It seems to run for a short time on electric than gas kicks in.

Thanks Gibby

Old 02-17-2012, 07:01 AM
Enthusiast

Normal. I really have to baby it when I start out and the electric mode can be good for about 20 miles per hour. So, only really useful in heavy city traffic. I am now at 36000 miles and have kept detailed records. My overall average MPG came out to be 20.2 MPG. Not what I was hoping for, particularly since the vast majority of my driving is open highway, 75 MPH, on cruise control. Overall, a good vehicle, but it did not live up to the MPG claims. On the very few occasions that I have taken it in for service, I have asked about mileage and whether a "regional" tune for the driving we have here in the desert was available. It is not. So, I'd say it is set up for driving in states where the max speed limit is 65, not 75, and where there is a lot more city driving than open highway - which is not what I have here.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

20.2 at 75 is good. The test for the sticker does not go that fast. You will pick up almost 2 mpg by dropping to 69/70. You might not be that patient. At steady state the hybrid does no good. In fact the extra mass of big electrical boxes, real heavy transmission, and the HV battery all hurt on sustained freeway.

Have you had it out toward Tortilla Flats and the dam yet? Spooky road after sundown.

Anyway, I pump the tires up hard and watch the headwinds when I'm running out in the wide open. The more you can keep it in V4 the better you will do.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:20 PM
Enthusiast

Haven't been out to the flats in a few years.
I do keep the tires on the high side (about 38 psi), and sticking to 69/70 is not so much a matter of patience as it is suicidal on I-10. Even at 75 most folks are trying to push someone out of the way on that road. I do a lot of work down in Pima County, so I'm on the 10 a lot and on a lot of the 2 lane roads that cross the County. Even on trips to SoCal where the limit is 70, I see no appreciable improvement in mileage. Since I use the truck for business, I track every tank and I know tank-by-tank exactly where my mileage is. I'm thinking when I am out of warranty, I may "chip" it with an aftermarket chip and mess with the tuning. I'd guess that the fuel/driving profile is one size fits all and that there is more mileage to be had if I look for a higher MPH sweet spot.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hi everyone,

I'm happy to see so many positive comments about the Silverado hybrid! I just wanted to quickly jump on this thread to let you all know you can send me a private message anytime with specific questions about your vehicle. I'm a Customer Assistance Representative from the GM Social Media group and would be happy to help wherever I can.

Best,

Katie
GM Customer Service

Quick Reply: 2009 Sierra hybrid/Silverado

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands