General Motors Corporation Chevrolet, GMC and Saturn hybrids

New Silverado Hybrid Owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 06:19 PM
Hybrid True Believer
Default Re: New Silverado Hybrid Owner

Just out of curiosity, what is the premium for the Silverado hybrid versus the regular Silverado? I was thinking that if the difference was small, it would be a good idea for GM to offer the Silverado in regular, FAS, and 2Mode. That way, the buyer would have several choices in price and fuel economy.

I like the simple elegance of FAS. It's a start/stop hybrid that also functions as a mobile power plant. It would be the perfect truck to own during an extended electricity failure (like during the Katrina disaster)

Last edited by AshenGrey; 01-18-2007 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:39 PM
Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted by TeeSter
The second is a series hybrid. These systems also shut off their engine at intersections. Additionally an electric motor is used to help the engine drive the vehicle forward at low speeds and when extra acceleration is needed. The engine is usually slightly smaller since it doesn't have to provide low end torque. The electric motor is too small to drive the car ahead alone.
I though that series meant the vehicle was driven entirly off of motors, and there was a generator type device that recharged the batteries if it needed more range than the batteries could supply.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ag4ever
I though that series meant the vehicle was driven entirly off of motors, and there was a generator type device that recharged the batteries if it needed more range than the batteries could supply.
After looking a bit I may have that terminology mixed up some. There certainly are two kinds in that there are ones like mine where the electric is sufficient to drive the wheels and ones where the electric only can ASSIST in driving the wheels, and you are right in that you can make a vehicle that does what you say.... That would be yet another class.

Old 01-20-2007, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

I'm pretty sure the Silverado uses a 42volt FAS not BAS. If so, a FAS (Flywheel Alternator/Starter) is very similar to IMA except the GM version is much lower voltage...

From http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/...1_alt_hyb.html

Flywheel Alternator Starter (FAS) System

GM hybrid pickup trucks get more miles from each gallon of gasoline mainly because of the engine start/stop function and regenerative braking, which turn the motor into a generator as the truck decelerates. Extra fuel savings come from quickly shutting off fuel any time the truck is coasting or braking, using the electric motor to make the transition seamless to the driver.

Instead of a conventional starter motor and alternator, the hybrid truck features a compact electric motor integrated between the engine and transmission, known as a flywheel alternator starter system. The 14,000- watt electric motor provides fast, quiet starting power, the ability to generate up to 2,400 watts of continuous electric power, and 10% fuel savings.

The electricity generated by the system has many uses. It may be stored in a 42-volt lead-acid battery pack for future use, used to support on-board electric accessories, operate power tools, or even run essential home appliances during power outages using the pair of 120-volt, 20-amp outlets in the cab and bed. This technology is currently available to fleet and commercial customers throughout the country and is available to retail consumers in Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada and Florida.

The FAS system is in production on the 2004 model year Chevrolet Silverado hybrid and GMC Sierra hybrid trucks.
The hybrid trucks are available as an extended-cab pickup truck on the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra. It is equipped with a 42-volt lead-acid battery pack, a modified 4-speed automatic transmission, 5.3L V8 engine, and is available in both 2WD and 4WD.
See also: http://www.chevrolet.com/pop/silvera.../hybrid_en.jsp

Silverado Classic Hybrid’s regenerative braking takes some of the inertial energy from the moving vehicle and turns it back into electrical energy, which is stored in the Energy Storage Module.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:23 AM
Hybrid True Believer

Personally, I like FAS better than BAS. ith FAS you get some very useful utility (the four 110v power outlets) and you still save a little gasoline. If you're using the truck as a mobile power plant, the exhaust is cleaner than what comes out of a worksite generator because the exhaust passes through a catalytic converter.

With BAS, you don't get the mobile power plant and you don't really save any more gasoline than with FAS.

The other thing I like about FAS is that it uses an integrated starter generator, not an alternator belt on steroids. I think FAS ill probably enjoy a longer service life than BAS. I also think FAS is more extensible than BAS. GM could easily release a "super power plant" version of FAS that could pack 144v like the HCH. You could have a whole lot of outlets in that configuration!

Old 01-22-2007, 06:04 AM
Engineering first

Certainly the FAS is closer to the IMA architecture and could evolve that way easily. When I looked at the Saturn VUE BAS system . . . If I'd seen a Harley style belt drive, I would have been more impressed.

Bob Wilson

Old 01-31-2007, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
After looking a bit I may have that terminology mixed up some. There certainly are two kinds in that there are ones like mine where the electric is sufficient to drive the wheels and ones where the electric only can ASSIST in driving the wheels, and you are right in that you can make a vehicle that does what you say.... That would be yet another class.
Yes, you got the two terms backwards. A series hybrid is one in which the electric motor alone directly drives the wheels, with the engine/generator supplying power to the motor. A parallel hybrid is one in which the engine always, or nearly always, directly drives the wheels, with an electric motor supplying additional motive force.

All Honda hybrids are parallel hybrids. All Toyota and Ford hybrids are primarily series hybrids, but with elements of parallel hybrids. I guess you'd call them hybrid hybrids. Trains are pure series hybrids; the engine never drives the wheels. But in Toyotas and Fords, the engine can directly drive the wheels, but it doesn't most of the time as far as I understand.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:08 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
Yes, you got the two terms backwards. A series hybrid is one in which the electric motor alone directly drives the wheels, with the engine/generator supplying power to the motor. A parallel hybrid is one in which the engine always, or nearly always, directly drives the wheels, with an electric motor supplying additional motive force.

All Honda hybrids are parallel hybrids. All Toyota and Ford hybrids are primarily series hybrids, but with elements of parallel hybrids. I guess you'd call them hybrid hybrids. Trains are pure series hybrids; the engine never drives the wheels. But in Toyotas and Fords, the engine can directly drive the wheels, but it doesn't most of the time as far as I understand.
Most of the time there is some electric assist. However unlike the Hondas (as far as I know) the Escape can go up to about 40MPH on pure electric with the engine completely off. As far as I know the Hondas need the engine on to move at all.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

I think that the new Hondas can close their valves and move on electric power. If I'm wrong please correct me....

Old 02-01-2007, 09:57 AM

The 2006 Civic Hybrid can do that in theory, but it very rarely does, in my experience. And the other Honda hybrids never do that.

Quick Reply: New Silverado Hybrid Owner

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands