'06 Mariner driveability problem, just purchased

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 05:19 AM
Enthusiast
Default '06 Mariner driveability problem, just purchased

Hello, I'm a former pro foreign-car mechanic & still have my tools, a lift, etc. to do most any mechanical repairs. I just purchased a 2006 Mariner Hybrid with 188K miles. Everything was great for 3 days/200 miles. Yesterday, temps dropped to -10. Stopped at a lumber yard for 30 minutes. When I drove away, the wrench icon came on. Soon after, the engine icon also lit & it lost power, but would still move at 10 mph. Pulled over, turned the key off for 10 minutes. Started, drove a short distance, same symptom again. Let it sit for 20 minutes, started & drove 4 miles home, both icons still lit. Attached my Autel ML629 scanner & got the following codes0221-FF,
P1000 FF, P2110 FF, P2111 FF, P2112 FF, P2135 FF Codes all seem to refer to TPS/TB issues. I'm going to replace the TPS & clean the TB this morning & hope for the best. Also going to check the battery filter. I noticed the display below the tach lights-up but has never displayed any information. Is this normal or did somebody disconnect it? The truck is in great shape & looks to be well cared for by the previous (one) owner. Truck is in great working order & drove perfectly for 3 snow-covered days. I really like this vehicle & hope it's not going to be unreliable.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:27 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: '06 Mariner driveability problem, just purchased

Before you do anything... Forscan.

I wouldn't trust your scanner to correctly read ALL codes.

Ensure the 12V battery is 100% healthy via load test.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:12 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you! I’ll seek out a Ford Dealer with some hybrid experience to diagnose my issue

Old 01-22-2019, 08:37 AM

Umm... no. Really? How did you get "go find a dealer" from my post?

Finding a dealer with true hybrid expertise is about as easy as pounding your forehead into a brick wall without bleeding or suffering a concussion. They will say you need thousands of dollars of parts. The first time, they will be wrong. The second time, they will be partially right, but by the third time, they'll probably get it right... hopefully for less than $6K or so in total.

First, check your 12V battery with an actual LOAD test. It should stay above 11V with a 100A load test.

Second, Forscan - it's an app. It's cheap, and it can enable near-dealer capability of code reading including the codes that produce the wrench (which are not often readable by typical OBDII readers).

Read this post...

https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f...47/#post261444

This was my last venture into a MMH hybrid battery... it went flat from sitting for 6 months, and the dealer charged him $1000 in diagnostics to tell him the warranty was void because he let it sit for so long, and he needed a new battery.

FWIW, it fired right up, and the car has been perfectly healthy ever since. I even built a custom charger to enable him to recharge the battery if it ever happens again. With your '06, the HV jump starter (charger) is built-in.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:57 PM
Enthusiast

Oh, I assumed Forscan was a Ford Scanning Tool. I'll check it out. Thanks!

Old 02-02-2019, 05:29 PM
Enthusiast

UPDATE: My scanner gave me the correct information. I removed the air intake hose & found that the throttle body bore & blade were coated with carbon. I removed the throttle body & cleaned it thoroughly with carburetor cleaner. After replacing the throttle body-to-intake gasket, I reassembled the intake & reset the system by disconnecting the positive cable & shorting it to the negative cable. Once restarted, the codes were gone & the Mariner has been running perfectly for more than a week and over 300 miles.

Old 02-03-2019, 06:32 AM

Great news. Thanks for following up!