Cluster Intermittedly Goes Out

Old 09-18-2012, 01:30 PM
Enthusiast
Default Cluster Intermittedly Goes Out

I recently purchased a 2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid. Within the first week of owning it the whole dashboard display and the screen that shows where the battery and engine power are going went out. It was only off for a minute then came back on. The car ran fine during that minute's time. The next week my spouse drove the car and the same thing occurred, but this time when he turned the car off it would not restart. We left the car where it was and came back to it in the evening and it started on the first try. We sent the car into the dealership and they couldn't find anything wrong and did nothing with the vehicle. Here we are, a week after getting the car back and the cluster goes out again, this time on the highway for 37 minutes total. During this time the speedometer is and other gauges are stuck where they were at, the mileage display and all other lights are not illuminated (including the green light that says the car is ready to go). The airbag light IS on though. Also, the air conditioner does not work when the cluster is out. As you can see, this can be a dangerous situation. The car is back at the dealership and I'm hoping they can find something wrong with it this time. Has anyone else experienced this before? Have any ideas what could be wrong?

Thanks,
Disappointed new Mariner owner

Old 09-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Cluster Intermittedly Goes Out

different problem but note similarities I have a 2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid. Brakes failed in Nov for my wife and in Dec2011 for me. I have taken all the ground points from the Neg of battery to where they connect to the body and cleaned them. One is below the battery, one is on the passenger side of engine, on the wheel well and one you need to remove the driver side front tire to redo. I think it is an electrical problem. I would like to add that 2 weeks prior to the initial brake failure my wife noticed the power went out on the entertainment console (radio clock etc). When both brake failures occurred, turning the ignition off and on and recalibrating the brakes fixed the problem. You will also note that a low voltage warning is one of the symptoms. This could easily be the result of an intermittent electrical connection. As a retired electronic engineer with over 40 yrs in process control my feeling is it is an electrical problem. Sept 19, 2012 and no further problems.