Help! 2006 Mariner Braking System Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Enthusiast
Default Help! 2006 Mariner Braking System Problem

I recently purchased a used (36K) Mariner Hybrid. Love the car, but about a week after buying it the service brake system lights came on. I took it to the dealer, which proceeded to bleed the system. They gave it back to me and it was fine for a couple of weeks. Then the lights came back on. They took it back in, bled the system again and replaced the master cylinder. Unfortunately, they just called to say that that didn't fix the problem. The dealership has admitted to me they don't know what the problem is and don't know what the next move should be.

Any advice on what to do now? Please help!!!

Old 04-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Help! 2006 Mariner Braking System Problem

Originally Posted by John Granquist
I recently purchased a used (36K) Mariner Hybrid. Love the car, but about a week after buying it the service brake system lights came on. I took it to the dealer, which proceeded to bleed the system. They gave it back to me and it was fine for a couple of weeks. Then the lights came back on. They took it back in, bled the system again and replaced the master cylinder. Unfortunately, they just called to say that that didn't fix the problem. The dealership has admitted to me they don't know what the problem is and don't know what the next move should be.

Any advice on what to do now? Please help!!!
John, do you have a "code reader"? When your vehicle throws a malfunction light a "code" is suppose to be produced and a code reader should pick this up and direct you to where the problem lies. Where did you purchase the vehicle-a Ford dealership or other? You should be able to obtain a carfax report from the business you purchased this vehicle from. See if this vehicle had the August/September 2007 recall work performed. We need more information to help you.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:57 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply! Bought it at a Jaguar dealership -- saw the Carfax report before I purchased it and it was clean. Also, the Mercury dealership that has been doing the work on my car serviced it for the previous owner, so they know this specific car. The first time they took it in they said that they got an error code in the onboard braking system computer, but evidently that wasn't enough information, hence their peforming repairs that haven't worked. As for recalls, I entered my VIN at mercuryvehicles.com and it says that no recalls were issued for parts on my car (and I haven't heard of a recall affecting 06 Mariner hybrids). Is this wrong? I would hope that the dealer would realize this if it was the case.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

This is the recall I am mentioning:

2005-2007 FEH/MMH Recall: Battery harness/module (07B48)

I'm sorry but I can not help you any more than this.