Mercury

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 05:49 AM
Enthusiast
Default Mercury

Does anyone know if Mercury is going to produce a FWD version of their hybrid..................I like the looks of it but do not want four wheel drive....hurts the mileage!
thanks

Old 06-05-2006, 11:20 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: Mercury

It's unlikely.

Old 06-06-2006, 06:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Thats kinda wierd in a way.... to me the Escape looks more like a "SUV" (ie an off road vehicle). The Mariner is a cleaned up more refined version that looks more like it belongs in suburbia....

You'd think, if anything, The Mariner should have the 2WD version and not the Escape if you were going to limit things.

Old 06-06-2006, 08:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

I think it has to do with the Mercury line being a *slightly* more luxury line of Ford (think Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti, etc. but not as extreme). So they probably loaded it up with most of the options as standard. The AWD in this case not really for AWD terrain so much as for safety.

Old 06-06-2006, 10:00 AM

You are probably right... probably why all the markings on the Escape are 4WD and all the Mariner marking are AWD as well. One is an off road marketing "feel" one is an increased handling marketing "feel." Though in reality the main differences are probably cosmetic. Mostly trim panels, interior, pehaps some sound deadening, etc....

Old 06-06-2006, 10:04 AM

I'd say it is unlikely. I think Mercury has always operated this way with their SUV's. I think when the Mountaineer first came out it was only available with the V8 and AWD when the explorer could come with the V6 and FWD. I agree that their "pitch" is that they are a little bit above the Ford version and thus come "standard" with AWD.

Last edited by Tim K; 06-10-2006 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:22 PM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: Mercury

Originally Posted by Tim K
I'd say it is unlikely. I think Mercury has always operated this way with their SUV's. I think when the Mountaineer first came out it was only available with the V8 and AWD when the explorer could come with the V6 and FWD. I agree that their "pitch" is that they are a little bit above the Ford version and thus come "standard" with AWD.
One way to look at the Mercuries verses the Fords is that the Mercuries always make optional equipment on similar Ford vehicles standard equipment on the sister Mercury vehicle. Therefore an AWD option on the Ford would become standard equipment on the Mercury.

Rich

Old 06-10-2006, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
Thats kinda wierd in a way.... to me the Escape looks more like a "SUV" (ie an off road vehicle). The Mariner is a cleaned up more refined version that looks more like it belongs in suburbia....
I agree & I've never liked the looks of the Mariner(or Mazda Tribute either)because of that. I like the "SUV look" of the Escape myself, obviously not everybody does however -that's why they make different varieties.

I can tell you one thing however, I am the Internet Sales Manager for a local car dealer & we have a MUCH easier time reselling used Escape's than either the Mariner or the Tribute. For some reason, Tribute's & Mariner's are vehicles that seem to appeal to women & we just don't get as many women shoppers as we do men.

We have a very nice used Mariner on our lot as we speak. It is an 05(came off a lease), under 20,000 miles on it, in MINT condition & we haven't been able to sell it for $13,500(I think it may have a deal working on it now, but it's been on the lot for six weeks). If that was a comparable Escape, it would have sold in two days.

~John

Old 06-10-2006, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by jmorton10
I agree & I've never liked the looks of the Mariner(or Mazda Tribute either)because of that. I like the "SUV look" of the Escape myself, obviously not everybody does however -that's why they make different varieties.

I can tell you one thing however, I am the Internet Sales Manager for a local car dealer & we have a MUCH easier time reselling used Escape's than either the Mariner or the Tribute. For some reason, Tribute's & Mariner's are vehicles that seem to appeal to women & we just don't get as many women shoppers as we do men.
[...]
~John

My husband and I must be reversed in this regard. I've always liked the look of the Ford Escape, and had been eyeing it for a couple years when we still had car payments on his F-150 pickup. When the hybrid Escape came out, it was a no brainer for me (geeky, Earth friendlier, <gas, not too much more expensive, +tax credit, etc.)

Now that I have the Escape Hybrid, my husband's beloved F-150 is relegated to the garage most days and he's driving my old '92 Corolla. What does he want to replace the Corolla (since he still refuses to part with the F-150?) A Mariner Hybrid. He likes the look of it better, but only wants it in black (his pickup's black, too.) He thinks it's prettier/sexier, and for the price I guess he likes that the Mariner looks a little more upscale than the Escape. It's the same reason I ultimately am glad I ended up with the appearance package plus a paint color that had color-matched bumpers as an option -- it makes the Escape Hybrid look a little more upscale, but the grill and liftgate treatments and all still keep the sporty look I like. I'm definitely more of a sporty utility than 'luxury' utility vehicle gal. I have Husky rubber floormats on all floor and cargo surfaces of my Escape Hybrid, which is probably not something that people buy for their Mariners a lot!

Old 06-10-2006, 03:31 PM

I also preferred the styling of the Mariner, though my wife preferred that of the Escape. We got a good deal on the Mariner, plus we both felt it was a better ride than the Escape for whatever reason. We got the Mariner in Black....and though there may be a bit much Chrome/Aluminum (plastic)...we both like it so far. We just wish that there was a choice of interiors instead of giving all the Hybrids the Two tone pebble. A dark interior would have been nice.

Last edited by Tim K; 06-10-2006 at 03:36 PM.