Mercury brand being discontinued??

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default Mercury brand being discontinued??

I just recently heard a rumor that Ford will be discontinuing its Mercury brand of cars. Does anyone know if there is any truth or substance to that rumor? I am in the market for a new car and have been looking very closely at purchasing either an '09 Mercury Mariner or Mariner hybrid, so I am very curious to find out whether or not the vehicle will even be around for much longer. If anyone has any details they could share or has heard anything to either substantiate or disprove this rumor, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Old 08-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Mercury brand being discontinued??

Go to Blueovalnews.com and you will find information about the Mercury Division. It is not going away but will change.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by DetroitMike
I just recently heard a rumor that Ford will be discontinuing its Mercury brand of cars. Does anyone know if there is any truth or substance to that rumor? I am in the market for a new car and have been looking very closely at purchasing either an '09 Mercury Mariner or Mariner hybrid, so I am very curious to find out whether or not the vehicle will even be around for much longer. If anyone has any details they could share or has heard anything to either substantiate or disprove this rumor, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Even if it went away... the car is an IDENTICAL copy of an Escape with different body panels to make it look different. Ford wants people to THINK theres a difference and Mercury is some higher quality vehicle... but its pretty much a sham. Some of the interior amenities are different to differentiate the two vehicles but thats it. Its all marketing. They are even built at the same factory.

All the electronics, suspension, drive train, identical. Ford would cover the warranties, everything that actually MAKES the car go would be produced by Ford for the FEH repairs.... cosmetic things would have parts available for years (likely just as long as they would be if Mercury were still around)

In a sense I'm saying I wouldn't worry about it and if I wanted a Mercury I'd buy one anyway.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:21 AM
Red
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

From what I read, Mercury will have small vehicles and Lincoln will have the large vehicles. That protects Mariner.

I guess that would leave Lincoln with MKS, MKX, TC, Navigator and MKT. Then MKZ and Mark LT (for other reasons) go away.

Mercury would have Mariner, Milan and Mountaineer(?) Sable and Grand Marquis go away.

There is so much consolidation of Ford and L/M dealerships going on today, there would be too much duplication of similar vehicles if they don't pair them down. Mercury may become more upscale to the Ford offering.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:21 PM

Will the Escape/Mariner merge with the European Kuga

in the future. The Kuga is almost identical to our Escape/Mariner sizes. We know the Escape model dates from 2001 with a "refresh" in 2008. As it exists, the Escape is not aerodynamic friendly and with higher CAFE standards upcoming, changes are needed.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Billyk
Will the Escape/Mariner merge with the European Kuga

in the future. The Kuga is almost identical to our Escape/Mariner sizes. We know the Escape model dates from 2001 with a "refresh" in 2008. As it exists, the Escape is not aerodynamic friendly and with higher CAFE standards upcoming, changes are needed.
Oh.... goody another StationWagon....er I mean "crossover". Yeah crossover the "totally new class of vehicles!"