Mercury Hybrid ahead of schedule..

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 10:18 PM
Green Team Republican
Default Mercury Hybrid ahead of schedule..

US manufacturers might be a little behind the curve, but according to some of the statements expressed herein, one gets the idea a super industry-wide push for more models will be certain. Heck, maybe even a Hy-Mustang someday? More power to them..

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/featu...?release=20627

Old 05-04-2005, 07:12 AM
Prius geek
Default Re: Mercury Hybrid ahead of schedule..

I'm all for the Ford hybrids to make it, too. Just wondering why the Mariner has come out after the Escape...they're the same **** vehicle! Okay, maybe one says Mercury, the other Ford, but...do logos really take that long to make??!

I've test driven the Escape Hybrid and think Ford has a winner...for an SUV/4WD. And the spec sheet that had a Prius comparison showed exactly the same length and wheelbase between the two, with the Prius actually having more rear legroom. Not by much, but really, the only "advantage" here would be a less expensive (than a Highlander Hybrid anyway) 4WD hybrid that sits taller and is wider than a Prius. The Highlander would carry 2 more passengers and get slightly better mileage, but would also be more expensive ($3000?). Just another 2 cents worth...

Old 05-04-2005, 08:04 AM
Enthusiast

Highlander has bigger engine & more powerful battery & motors. It has better performance specs and towing capacity, is more powerful in general. And of course, is a Toyota instead of a Ford. More expensive, but you get a bunch for your money.

Old 05-04-2005, 10:16 AM
Prius geek

I'll agree. It's a whole better ballgame with the Highlander Hybrid, in ALL respects that you mentioned.

I really see the hybrid SUV market being just as hot as the hybrid car market...with Toyota's system potentially going into Nissan and Subaru and any other mfg. left behind in the hybrid world (Chrysler, GM are you there...).

I'm slightly worried that fuel economy may suffer with performance being touted by marketing. Only time will tell. We all want our cake (superior performance) and eat it too (great fuel economy). I still think the Prius delivers plenty of both, but realize, also, that some will always think they want more performance, regardless of actual needs.

Where is that Toyota mini-van hybrid (called Estima over in Japan)? I think that HAS to be the next vehicle to go hybrid.

Old 05-04-2005, 11:15 PM
Early Adopter

2wd Highlander gets slightly lower EPA mileage than 4wd Escape. Those two extra cylinders are not free, ya know...

Escape appears rock-solid so far (7700 miles) and is delivering very close to EPA estimated mileage (especially highway). Several owners are doing better than EPA. It remains to be seen if Highlander can match that...at a higher price.

Also don't be surprised if the weak dollar results in further price increases for Asian cars...

Old 05-05-2005, 07:26 AM
Prius geek

That's great to hear Steve! Ford has to make this go, otherwise their business is in trouble, from the things I've been reading. I do love to hear American companies using advanced tech for the benefit of all. I think as a SULEV and gas miser, the Escape fits the bill quite well. Why can't it happen more often? What has to happen to get American companies to invest in the right things at the right time, etc.?

Old 05-05-2005, 12:27 PM
Early Adopter

Well, we will have to see if Ford "gets it" that this can work. So far they've only committed to build 20000 units between Aug '04 and Aug '05 (the 06 builds just started), and I'm guessing that number includes the Mariners.

Of course Ford will have the same supplier issues Toyota has had (they are sourcing batteries from Sanyo, who also serves Honda, and transaxles from Aisin, who also serves Toyota) so component availability may become a problem. However the rest of the vehicle is unchanged from the conventional version so in theory the build side of the equation should be easy.

Old 05-11-2005, 05:00 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

As a Ford cheerleader I have seen themselves shoot themselves in the foot many times before. The Thunderbird could have been a huge boon, but what did they do? They tried to make the Thunderbird into an exclusive vehicle. You can’t do that when the parent company is Ford, known for making vehicles for middle America. And since you can’t really stick the Thunderbird under the Lincoln badge, there was no way for Ford to effectively sell their “personal car” as an exclusive car, in price and in image. The Thunderbird didn’t die because it was a 2-seater, or because it was ugly to some (I thought it looked classic), it died because Ford didn’t choose to sell it to everyone at an everyone price.

So back to American manufacturers and hybrids. I think that Ford has a huge leg up on the rest of the “Americans” and some of the foreign manufacturers. If they were smart, they would create the Mariner hybrid right now and be done with it. The issue is that the two vehicles are built on the same line and even if you do offer Mariner hybrids, that doesn’t increase your production capacity, it only splits production capacity between the two badges. Oh, and don’t fool yourself. As a long term Ford advocate, if I’m given the option of buying a Ford vehicle or a Mercury vehicle I will take the Mercury every time. More trim, more style, more refinement.

My best wishes to Ford. I really want them to be a player in this market. I really want them to beat GM and Chrysler, and for now, they seem to in their own little way.