Mercury Mariner Hitch & Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 06:01 PM
Enthusiast
Default Mercury Mariner Hitch & Wiring

I ordered a Hidden Hitch & t-connector from etrailer.com for my 2006 Mercury Mariner. The hitch installed beautifully. Now onto the wiring. They sent me the 30131 t-connector. In reading some older posts, its being questioned as to whether or not it'll work on the Hybrid model. Does anyone have any updated info on installing wiring? Can the 30131 be used?

Mark

Old 07-25-2007, 06:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Mercury Mariner Hitch & Wiring

Originally Posted by Pexring
Does anyone have any updated info on installing wiring? Can the 30131 be used?
One of the differences between the FEH and the MMH, is that the FEH has separate yellow directional lamps on the rear, and the MMH has combined turn/stop lamps. Because of that, the taillight wiring is a bit different.

The 30131 is the correct adapter and wiring for the MMH.

Well, kind-of.

The 30131 doesn't include a module to repower the light signals, so that the Message Center doesn't get confused. You need to add such a module, to the 30131. I choose the 18193 module, which is a simple plug-in to the 30131.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

I am going to switch my trailer lights over to LED's before I hook it to my Hybrid. I am hoping the efficiency gained by LED's will allow the Hybrid's existing power to be sufficient without the extra adapter.

Does anyone have a feel for doing that?

Old 07-26-2007, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by pb5927317
I am going to switch my trailer lights over to LED's before I hook it to my Hybrid. I am hoping the efficiency gained by LED's will allow the Hybrid's existing power to be sufficient without the extra adapter.

Does anyone have a feel for doing that?
Even IF that worked...Then your turn signals are going to go faster (as someone else has noted in another post) and you'll get a warning about your turn signals unless you have a trailer on. Not much of a solution unfortunately. You are far better off just buying the extra adapter.

Check out the problems on the thread for "Adjust Turn Signal Out Alarm Trigger" and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited by TeeSter; 07-26-2007 at 05:47 AM.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:21 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

If he leaves the truck bulbs stock and uses led's on the trailer only then he won't have the fast flash because the truck's bulbs are in place. He also may not tax the electrical system by using such a low draw bulb on the trailer. This is actually a good idea! Let us know if it works.

08FEH

Old 07-26-2007, 11:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yes, I am sorry I didn't clarify. I am going to leave the bulbs the same in the Mariner, but I am going to put LED's in the trailer lights.

The last number I read in a magazine is that a LED light uses 1/7th of the power consumption of a normal bulb.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by pb5927317
Yes, I am sorry I didn't clarify. I am going to leave the bulbs the same in the Mariner, but I am going to put LED's in the trailer lights.

The last number I read in a magazine is that a LED light uses 1/7th of the power consumption of a normal bulb.
Actually..... if I'd read more carefully you did say you were going to switch your trailer lights over to LED's.

Opps..... I wouldn't be suprised if that works fine.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by 08FEH
He also may not tax the electrical system by using such a low draw bulb on the trailer.
It is not a question of taxing the electrical system. The Message Center measures the current draw, and uses that to determine if there is a fault.

The question is if the extra load of the LED trailer lights is enough to trip a fault. I don't know, but I guess an actual test would be safe enough.