Mercury Mariner Hybrid

Old 03-21-2006, 02:19 PM
Enthusiast
Default Mercury Mariner Hybrid

I'm looking to buy a hybrid SUV sometime in the next few months and was wondering if anyone here owns the Mariner Hybrid. Other than a few exterior styling differences, are there any other subtle and not-so-subtle differences between this and the Escape?

For instance - the Escape Limited has map lights and sunglasses holder up top, and a moonroof, but I have not seen these features on an Escape Hybrid. Might they come with the Mariner? There also seems to be a more varied colour selection with the Mariner.

Looking up the stats on the internet, it seems the Mariner gets about 2mpg less than the FEH 4WD -- wonder why?

R.

Old 03-21-2006, 07:29 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Mercury Mariner Hybrid

Originally Posted by kitsilano99
I'm looking to buy a hybrid SUV sometime in the next few months and was wondering if anyone here owns the Mariner Hybrid. Other than a few exterior styling differences, are there any other subtle and not-so-subtle differences between this and the Escape?

For instance - the Escape Limited has map lights and sunglasses holder up top, and a moonroof, but I have not seen these features on an Escape Hybrid. Might they come with the Mariner? There also seems to be a more varied colour selection with the Mariner.

Looking up the stats on the internet, it seems the Mariner gets about 2mpg less than the FEH 4WD -- wonder why?

R.
I just got an Escape Hybrid a week ago (I love it so far) and I got it with the sun/moon roof. You HAVE to order the "premium" package before the sunroof can be orderd. Don't ask me why, but that was the case. I think it is because the Hybrids are limited production runs so they group the options in ways that defy logic (and frustrate customers). I also got mine with the heated seats/mirrors, which is helpful here in Montreal Canada.

I was dissapointed in some missing features that I thought should be available in any car/suv worth more than 30k. For instance, my 1987 Mazda 323LX had a windshield washer fluid warning light. Now my fully loaded Escape Hybrid with the latest technology has to run the tank dry before I find out it is empty (unless I missed the light on the dash)! It also lacks auto-dimming mirrors, exterior temp guage, climate control (the *%^@ Ford Focus has it!). The seat warmer button is in a logic defying location and the seats have no lumbar support. The dash could use a temp guage as well.

Despite all this, I think it is a good looking truck (is it a car or truck? My girlfriend and I have been "arguing" that all week!). I am very happy to have gotten it and it pretty much matches or beats the consumption I was getting on my Golf GTI while hauling more stuff, has 4WD and an engine that is new so it will only get better after it (and the driver) is broken in. No regrets but that does not let Ford off the hook for some options that are ubiquitous on just about any car or truck.

Cheers,

Roch

Last edited by rcomeau; 03-21-2006 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:50 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Not to disappoint, but Ford has never had washer fluid lights on their vehicles. And the Prius doesn't either, for that matter. And your reference to climate control? You mean auto climate control? Unless I missed something, I'm not aware of auto climate being on the Focus. Ford's auto climate panel is hard to miss. It replaces the typical 3 round dial controls for a fully digital control, pushbuttons only. If they are putting that in the Focus now, that is a huge upgrade for a truly economy car. I should probably visit the web site and see what options are offered.

In general Mercury branded Ford products include more trim and more standard features than an equivalent Ford product. From a strictly technical standpoint, the vehicles are the same.

I would opt for the Mercury myself because it has a much more appealing front end than the Escape.

Old 03-23-2006, 04:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeromeP
Not to disappoint, but Ford has never had washer fluid lights on their vehicles. And the Prius doesn't either, for that matter. And your reference to climate control? You mean auto climate control? Unless I missed something, I'm not aware of auto climate being on the Focus. Ford's auto climate panel is hard to miss. It replaces the typical 3 round dial controls for a fully digital control, pushbuttons only. If they are putting that in the Focus now, that is a huge upgrade for a truly economy car. I should probably visit the web site and see what options are offered.

In general Mercury branded Ford products include more trim and more standard features than an equivalent Ford product. From a strictly technical standpoint, the vehicles are the same.

I would opt for the Mercury myself because it has a much more appealing front end than the Escape.
About the climate control, I was relaying info from the salesman at the dealer when I complained about the missing climate control. He said that the Escape never had it, which waqs strange because even the focus can get it (he pointed to a focus on the sales floor, unless I missed the direction he was pointing).

I personally like the look of the Escape, although I have not seen a Mariner (other than a photo) because is not available where I live as Ford pulled Mercury out of Quebec (or Canada maybe) for marketting reasons, with the exception of the Marquis because the Crown Victoria is only offered for fleets).

Let me know if the Mariner comes with climate control, dimming mirrors and a washer fluid low warning light and I'll consider moving!

Cheers,

Roch

Old 03-24-2006, 12:06 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rcomeau
Let me know if the Mariner comes with climate control, dimming mirrors and a washer fluid low warning light and I'll consider moving!

Cheers,

Roch
At first I was a little confused about your statemen but I understand now. Hey in terms of guts, the Mariner and Escape are the same. Since Ford does not market Mercury north of the border you don't have much choice of the matter unless you choose to buy in the States and take it accross the border. I'm not sure how difficult that is.

And I've just taken a look at the domestic U.S. Ford web site and the Focus does not appear to have auto climate as an option. In fact it appears that A/C is standard on everything except the stripper trim grade of that. But auto climate is no available.

Sorry, but you were getting dealer smoke on that one. Not sure why dealers do that. It isn't like the model line is that large or complex.

Old 03-25-2006, 02:35 PM
Enthusiast

I have an MMH with the premium package and like the auto-dimming rear mirror. There is no homelink, temp gauge or compass. There is a phone button on the nav system, apparently there is no way to connect your phone to it. I have the moonroof and there are map-lights and a sunglass holder. (Which an EZPass fits in quite nicely! I use it about twice a year and hate to leave it on the windshield.) I have to agree with the person that said the heated seats button is in a terrible place, down on the floor, next to the seat adjustment controls. If someone gets out of your vehicle and leaves the seat warmer on, you have to stop and get out to shut it off if you don't want to waste electricity.

The nav system....well, I hate it, I guess I am spoiled by my Garmin. But on a day when I didn't bring the Garmin it was obviously better than nothing. However, I do like the energy flow graphic and instant mpg graphs.

I wish there was a button to pop the rear hatch, especially on the remote.

I am averaging about 29-31 mpg per tank according to the computer, mostly highway driving.

While it says in the brochure you can play mp3 cd's it does not work in mine. You can get a 110v outlet in the FEH, this was not an option on the MMH for some reason. They tell you it can tow 1000 lbs, but there is no trailer hitch available for it! (I don't actually want to tow, but I have a canoe loader that uses the trailer hitch.)

The cruise control buttons are not illuminated, it's impossible to use at night. That was a big-time miss in my book. If you have the rear seats down you can't open the center console fully.

I am very happy with mine overall, although I do agree with some others that for what you pay the amenities are a little sparse compared to other brands.

Last edited by racephoto; 03-25-2006 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:48 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by racephoto
There is no ... compass.
Really? You mention you have the nav system, it should be there at the bottom of the screen, as a single letter N,W,E,S at the bottom of the display screens.

If you have the rear seats down you can't open the center console fully.
Really? Once again, you can in the FEH.

I am very happy with mine overall, although I do agree with some others that for what you pay the amenities are a little sparse compared to other brands.
LOL, it doesn't sound like it, but then again, we've all got our little laundry lists of complaints.

You can always do a search, As I recall, there's a third party manufacturer who can outfit you with a trailer hitch.

Old 03-26-2006, 08:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

I got my FEH with the sunroof and it sounds like it is the same one (with the sun glasses box) as the Mariner.

It also has the crazy heated seats buttons between the seat and the door. That is the stupidest place to put it! You cannot see the button so you have to feel around for it, has no tactile on/off feel so you cannot tell if it is on or off (until you feel the heat, or lack of it), and as racephoto mentioned, if a passenger uses it, you have to stop, get out, walk around to the passenger door and open the door to see the indicator light on the button to make sure it is off! I don't know what they were thinking there. Why put a button with an on/off light somewhere where it is impossible to see the light? I'm sure it is because having the button there means it can be modular in that they can just stick a heated/non-heated seat in an Escape without any different assembly work on the rest of the vehicle. Saves time/money in assembly, but results in a poorly implemented feature. This may seem like nit-picking, but it can be distracting to the driver and that is not good.

I love the hybrid, love the look of the truck inside and out, but Ford needs to sweat the details a bit more regarding the interface inside the cabin. The driver should be able to easily and safely monitor/control all functions in the vehicle.

Cheers,

Roch

Old 04-01-2006, 08:39 AM
Enthusiast

I have the Mariner, and, in general, I love it. Things I have picked up driving it for about two weeks that you might not find in a short test drive:
1. The seat heater button is indeed in an interesting place. What I have not seen mentioned is they get pretty hot very quickly. In a Cleveland winter that is a good thing, but it might not be so good in Florida. Turn them on and see if you like them or not.
2. I am having some difficulty finding a comfortable spot for long frived for my size 10 left foot. I can normally only get about half of it supported, and as a result my foot wants to twist some.
3. The cener console and the seat are placed close enough that the right side of the seat rests against the console. Not much of a problem except I find that it creates an assymmetry in support in my thighs.
4. Check out the threads on the NAV system and keep up to date on them if you are considering buying one. there are some real issues of functionality there.
5. Also on the center console and such, the cup holders are not adjustable on the MMH at least. The ones that the MMH are quite far back for me and can cause problems with my right elbow bumping drinks while I drive.
6. There is no set aside place to store the head rests from teh second row seats. in the MMH they go under the front seats, but I only seem to be able to get two under the seats and am left witht eh middle one floating around, normally in the front passenger seat.

On the plus side, the MMH is quiet, fuel efficient, very solidly built, is surprisingly responsive, has great acceleration, etc. I am only listing the small things because I have no large things yet, and all of them could be peculiar to me and not affect you.

If I had to do it all over again, I would still plop down the money and buy the car again.