Mercury Mariner Hybrid trailer hitch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Enthusiast
Default Mercury Mariner Hybrid trailer hitch?

Just bought a new 2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid 2 weeks ago. I called the dealer today to get a price of installation of a trailer hitch, and was told that Ford does not make a hitch for the Ford Escape or Mariner hybrid. There are after market hitches available, but having one installed will void my warantee.

Does anyone know this to be a fact?

Thanks for any info,

George H.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Mercury Mariner Hybrid trailer hitch?

Does your owners guide list the tow rating as 1000lbs (it did for the 2008 model)? If so, I would call your Ford dealer and ask them how Ford expected you to tow something if it's against the warranty to add a receiver hitch for towing (under 1000lbs). As long as you're not exceeding the factory limits on the vehicle and within specs, I don't think they can void the warranty.

As for hitches, there are other threads on this board that discuss the available types and their installation (complete with pictures).
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ur-hitch-9063/

Old 08-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Name:  rearsideviewwithplateblockedout.jpg
Views: 1305
Size:  106.0 KB
My Ford warranty still exists.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:56 AM
Enthusiast

I'm going to call Ford and quote from the car's owner's guide which runs for 4 pages, showing maximum loads, etc. for the hybrid.

Here's the e-mail that I got back from Ford.:

Thank you for contacting theFord Motor Company Customer Relationship Center regarding your interest in adding a trailer hitch on your 2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid.

In an effort to assist you, we have researched your inquiry. Our resources indicate that the Trailer Tow-Class II with Prep Hitch (536) is an optional feature for a 2009 Mercury Mariner V6 and Premier V6.

In addition, the installation or use of any after-market product will not
necessarily void the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. However, if the after-market product fails or causes a Ford part to fail, the cost of the repair and any related damage(s) are not covered by your Ford warranty.

Also, modifications to your vehicle could result in its not meeting either
Federal Emission Control Standards or any applicable Federal Motor Vehicle
Safety Standard.

Ford Motor Company does not recommend changes to our products. Only changes that have been thoroughly tested and approved by Ford Engineering should be considered. In this case, Ford part numbers will be issued and parts made available for purchase through our dealers.

Sometimes e-mail communication does not allow us to gain additional information that may be helpful in responding to your inquiry. Should you feel that we have not adequately addressed your questions, please feel free to contact us via telephone at (800)392-3673 between the hours of 8 am and 5 pm, local time, Monday through Friday. Hearing-impaired callers with access to a TDD may contact 1-800-232-5952.

Sincerely,
Marites
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

For online support visit us at: www.customersaskford.com which contains answers
to frequently asked questions and links to other key product and service
information.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:19 PM
Enthusiast

I have 2 Mariners, both still have their warranties (or did, until the mileage got too high) and both have a class 2 hitch on them.

Both have pulled my Jeep Liberty CRD (4300 lbs) without any problem... And one pulled the Liberty IN ELECTRIC MODE while it was connected to a 6x12 enclosed trailer weighing in at just over 3500 lbs itself.

Yes, you are reading that right: 4-hamster-power hybrid in battery only, pulling itself (3500 lbs), Jeep (4300 lbs) AND trailer (3500 lbs) for a total of about 2 miles. It was a rescue and slightly uphill... So it had to be done. But still impressive.

What the owner's manual and what the vehicle are safely capable of are two WILDLY different things. The Magnusen-Moss warranty act says that your warranty CANNOT be outright voided by any aftermarket add-on. The manufacturer MUST PROVE (not you) that the add-on caused the problem.

Dealers will say ANYTHING to get you to pay instead of getting it from the warranty. They make more money off you, b/c you don't have a "negotiated shop rate" to use with locked-down prices for everything. I actually had a VW dealer try and blame the PAINT COLOR of the car for a fuel temp sensor failure. I wouldn't have cared, but it was inside of the diesel injection pump. They wanted $3500 to replace the entire pump... When all it took was a $14 resistor that they sold at the parts counter.

Never trust a dealer at their words.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Enthusiast

Wow, That's a lot more than I'll ever need to tow. What was the average "everyday" weight that you towed? I'm looking to occasionly pull a small trailer, or possibly a small pop up camper.

Could you give me some details on the hitch and the wiring? (mfgr, wiring kit,
etc)?

Thanks,

George H.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:53 AM
Enthusiast

Average every-day weight... Has been either the Jeep Liberty or a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Both are fitted with a tow bar, and "flat towed" behind whatever is doing the pulling.

The Liberty weighs 4300 (scaled) and the GC is 4100.

Other than that, the "normal" weight I ask it to pull would be the generator at about 3000.

The hitch is from etrailer.com Wiring...... I can't remember exactly, but I think I got a kit from them.

The real trick is DON'T BEAT ON IT. The CVT is not normally designed to put up with a lot of high HP (High torque applied quickly) but it CAN WORK with high torque that is applied SLOWLY. Also, easy acceleration will be better on the mileage.

The real trick is to forget about hypermiling while towing. You wouldn't expect an ocean liner to get the same mileage as a jetski, would you? You are asking your motor to do a different, heavier job. It is capable, which means that you don't need to spend money on TWO vehicles to do the work. So expect to put some of that saved money (not buying another vehicle) into the fuel tank. That is a VERY SMALL cost for what you are saving.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:03 PM
08 MMH 4WD

Visit http://www.etrailer.com/
or http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2009_Mercury_Mariner.htm

Several to choose from. Get one with a 2" receiver as there are many more accessories that fit a 2" then a 1 1/4" such as a bike rack or small cargo rack.

You can also get the wiring harness there. You simply detach your rear brake light housings, disconnect 2 connectors, hook in the harness, route the wire & you are done!

Geordi has some good comments in his post about not abusing the car / transmission.

Also remember that the engine / CVT breaking has much to be desired for "off road" as that is not what this little SUV is designed for

Myself I use a bike rack more then towing with the MMH. I use other cars when I need to tow a heavy load but have used our trailer a few times on the MMH.

Enjoy & HTH!

Here are some other threads that may be of help:

(may need to add a Modulite if the fast blink bothers you)
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-wiring-14629/

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-08-mmh-15319/

Last edited by ICBMariner; 08-05-2010 at 08:30 AM. Reason: adding threads