MMH? Will Mercury be there to service it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 02:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default MMH? Will Mercury be there to service it?

Found an interesting article. A lot of people think Ford will drop the Mercury brand. Of course, a lot of people think Ford WON'T drop it either...

(You may have to register with the LA Times to view this - it is a free registration)

http://www.latimes.com/classified/au...tory?track=rss

Old 05-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit
Default Re: MMH? Will Mercury be there to service it?

Any Ford dealer can service a Mercury. Parts, like interior parts might be a problem 10 years out. You can still get Oldsmobile parts and service at most GM dealers.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
Any Ford dealer can service a Mercury. Parts, like interior parts might be a problem 10 years out. You can still get Oldsmobile parts and service at most GM dealers.
Oh, I realize that, but it would affect resale... not that hybrids have to worry about resale with gas so high.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:28 AM

Yes, the resale would be effected. I got next to nothing for my Contour when I traded it in, arguably because the model was discontinued. I have heard that the resale value of Olds' has taken a hit too. Honestly though, except for whatever "hybrid factor" effects prices, I wouldn't expect either the FEH or MMH to have a stellar resale value based on how American cars don't tend to hold their value very well.

I intent to own the MMH long enough that resale value was not a consideration when buying it. Who knows though--at the rate we're going, gas will be well over $7.00/g by the time I would sell so the value might be a lot more solid than most American cars...

Old 05-14-2008, 11:12 AM

The resale value of the hybrid version of a vehicle is significantly greater than the non-hybrid version. I would expect that to continue in the future.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:59 AM
Enthusiast

The dealer that I bought my 2008 Mariner from was closed/consolidated into a Ford dealership recently. I don't anticipate any service issues from the Ford dealership, but until I go through one, I won't know for sure.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by reneg
The dealer that I bought my 2008 Mariner from was closed/consolidated into a Ford dealership recently. I don't anticipate any service issues from the Ford dealership, but until I go through one, I won't know for sure.
You'll be served as well as any FEH owner by that dealership. The vehicles are identical except for the cosmetic touches.