Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Mercury Mariner Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/mercury-mariner-hybrid-65/)
-   -   Oil leak means removing trans? + Cost (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/mercury-mariner-hybrid-65/oil-leak-means-removing-trans-cost-31538/)

jruss1601 05-01-2018 08:57 AM

Oil leak means removing trans? + Cost

I have a 2007 Mercury Mariner Hybrid with 174k miles on it. Oil has been leaking and leaking quickly as of late. The ford garage nearby says its either the oil pan gasket or the rear main seal. Both require removing the transmission. The problem is not the parts but the labor. It'll cost 2200-2400 to perform this repair, but i'll get a 2 year warranty out of it. AAMCO quoted me at 1600, but hadn't seen the car, and I worry the price may increase once they see it. Their warranty is 3 months.

The car is in good condition and doesn't show signs of other problems, but I had to repair a differential seal last year that was leaking. So I also wonder if other seals will start to go?

So I'm looking for advice on the repair. Is there any reason I shouldn't trust AAMCO? This being such a big job, I wonder if I should leave it up to Ford Mechanics. What would you all do?

BTW, i'm not looking to trade it in or upgrade to a new car. Not yet at least.

Thanks for your help!

Shane Carr 09-14-2019 10:57 PM

Re: Oil leak means removing trans? + Cost

Originally Posted by jruss1601 (Post 265358)
I have a 2007 Mercury Mariner Hybrid with 174k miles on it. Oil has been leaking and leaking quickly as of late. The ford garage nearby says its either the oil pan gasket or the rear main seal. Both require removing the transmission. The problem is not the parts but the labor. It'll cost 2200-2400 to perform this repair, but i'll get a 2 year warranty out of it. AAMCO quoted me at 1600, but hadn't seen the car, and I worry the price may increase once they see it. Their warranty is 3 months.

The car is in good condition and doesn't show signs of other problems, but I had to repair a differential seal last year that was leaking. So I also wonder if other seals will start to go?

So I'm looking for advice on the repair. Is there any reason I shouldn't trust AAMCO? This being such a big job, I wonder if I should leave it up to Ford Mechanics. What would you all do?

BTW, i'm not looking to trade it in or upgrade to a new car. Not yet at least.

Thanks for your help!

I just left ford dealership today. Your guys are wrong. There is an inspection port that they can use to tell if its the main seal or not. I have same issue it is the oil pan leaking and there is no gasket only silicone used to seal it. Quote for oil pan reseal $1000.00. 2019.