Oil leak means removing trans? + Cost - GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars

Go Back  GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars > Hybrid Cars > Ford Motor Company > Mercury Mariner Hybrid
Oil leak means removing trans?  + Cost >

Oil leak means removing trans? + Cost

Oil leak means removing trans? + Cost

Old 05-01-2018, 08:57 AM
Enthusiast
Default Oil leak means removing trans? + Cost

I have a 2007 Mercury Mariner Hybrid with 174k miles on it. Oil has been leaking and leaking quickly as of late. The ford garage nearby says its either the oil pan gasket or the rear main seal. Both require removing the transmission. The problem is not the parts but the labor. It'll cost 2200-2400 to perform this repair, but i'll get a 2 year warranty out of it. AAMCO quoted me at 1600, but hadn't seen the car, and I worry the price may increase once they see it. Their warranty is 3 months.

The car is in good condition and doesn't show signs of other problems, but I had to repair a differential seal last year that was leaking. So I also wonder if other seals will start to go?

So I'm looking for advice on the repair. Is there any reason I shouldn't trust AAMCO? This being such a big job, I wonder if I should leave it up to Ford Mechanics. What would you all do?

BTW, i'm not looking to trade it in or upgrade to a new car. Not yet at least.

Thanks for your help!