Owners of 2006 Mariner Hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 07:34 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Owners of 2006 Mariner Hybrids

I'm seriously considering a used MMH for several reasons.

Here in San Antonio, most (70-80%) of my driving is on freeways at 50-70 MPH. I drive about 15 miles each way to work, and do alot of additional driving doing volunteer work at my church.

I would like to know some info from actual owners about their experiences and opinions. I can't find a used MMH here in the San Antonio area, so I am looking at sources on the internet. Specifically, how would you answer these questions:

1. Does the A/C turn off when stopped, or can you set it so it will run? If so, does that drastically drive down your mileage?

2. Would you buy another MMH? If yes or no, what are your reasons?

3. What is your real mileage, and what kind of driving do you do? (mostly city, mostly highway, etc.)

4. Aside from the hybrid advantages, do you like the car itself? (seats, comfort, quality, stereo, etc.) If so, why or why not?

5. How is the MMH holding up for you?

Thanks in advance for your help. As Packard used to say, "Ask the man (or woman) who owns one."

Joe

Old 07-21-2009, 08:27 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Owners of 2006 Mariner Hybrids

As you can see, not many people post on this section (MMH) of this website. You might want to browse the Escape section to get impressions of the vehicle. The 05-07 Escape and Mariner hybrids are basically the same vehicle (except for some trim and color variations), so drivers' experiences will be similar. I test drove an '06 MMH when shopping for my FEH (they didn't sell well at the time and the dealer had a few on the lot). It was great to drive, but I did not want the light tan color interior for a vehicle I would be using for utility purposes. Hybrid sales have been concentrated on the coasts, so in order to find a used one you may have to venture out from TX.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:32 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

1. Does the A/C turn off when stopped, or can you set it so it will run? If so, does that drastically drive down your mileage?
Yes and Yes. There is AC mode and Max AC mode. AC mode will shut off the compressor when the engine shuts off. The fan continues to blow. This mode is OK for a short traffic light in moderate temps but if you keep hitting redlights and its 90 degrees out the vehicle just gets too warm. The MAX AC mode "locks" the engine ON so the compressor can run. This is certainly less fuel efficient but necessary in some conditions. As to the mileage, it really only matters in traffic/city driving. On the highway there is no difference between the modes as the engine is on the whole time. In heavy city traffic with MAX AC I tend to get about 22 MPG...which sounds terrible for a hybrid but compared to a regular car its probably triple normal MPGs. With regular AC in the city it is probably in the 24-26 MPG range in traffic.
Yes, I like the vehicle, like the looks, like the way it drives, and I like the fact that in the worst possible driving conditions...which I have...I have never had less than a 23-24mpg tank. Of course, I'd like to have a newer one with all of the upgrades and improvements, but I am happy with the '06.

3. What is your real mileage, and what kind of driving do you do? (mostly city, mostly highway, etc.)
I do probably 60% city driving...and I mean REAL city driving. I live in downtown Philadelphia and drive back and forth across the city 4 times a day in rush hour traffic. There is no worse condition for hybrid...or any vehicle. Sitting at lights and stopping every block doesn't allow the hybrid to really shine, though engine shutdown clearly is effective in this condition. While I may normally get in the 26-27mpg range, I know my wife's sedan gets about 13-14 mpg in the same condtions.

In rural, suburban driving this vehicle really shines. If I lived in New Jersey in the burbs I would no doubt average in the low to mid 30's without trying. 40-50mpg driving with good distances between lights and then slow neighborhood driving really provides a perfect environment.

On the highway, the vehicle doesn't get the mileage respect it deserves. At 60mph I think I get in the 35mpg range. At 65mph I get about 33mpg. At 70 it still gets about 31mpg. The key is watching the RPM gauge and not pushing the 4cyl engine. There is a way to drive with the CVT transmission....the CVT tries to find the proper "gear" and sometimes it needs a hint. Keeping the RPMs around 2000rpm or less is ideal. If you find yourself cruising at 2500-2700rpm, just lift your foot off the accelerator for a second, watch the rpm settle into the 2000 range and then resume driving. When going up hills I don't try to maintain full speed. If I am cruising at 70 I may let my speed dip down to 60-65 uphill to keep the engine from working too hard. On the downhills I may push it a little more rather than coast in order to "make up" for the lost speed up hill. Also, I try not to have windows open at highway speed. AC is more efficient than the drag caused by open windows.

4. Aside from the hybrid advantages, do you like the car itself? (seats, comfort, quality, stereo, etc.) If so, why or why not?
The seats are pretty decent, though I wish Ford/Mercury allowed for choices in the hybrid interior color. I also wish the seats and mirrors had memory settings so when the wife and I switch vehicles I don't have to fiddle with it. My old Grand Cherokee had the best seats of any vehicle I have owned and spoiled me. The factory nav is awful. Hard to use, small screen and slow. Sound quality is pretty decent for a factory headunit though. In retrospect, I would have gone with the standard stereo and installed an aftermarket Nav stereo - though the MPG and battery screens are helpful when "learning" to drive the hybrid.

The one concern with the design is that the rear headrests and smaller rear side window (by the vent) combine to make rear visibility pretty poor...especially for someone who has to back into a tight garage space.
I have had only minor problems and most were fixed under warranty. There was a TSB for squeaking rear-ends that was due to something with the shock mount bushings. I had to have this done twice to eliminate the groaning/squeaking rear end. I had a seal in the passenger door panel that needed to be siliconed as water was dripping inside the vehicle. Really there was nothing else I can think of 36,000 miles in.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:00 PM
No longer an Enthusiast.

1. I have a 2006 FEH 4x4. Before I had to replace the engine @ 65,000 miles, I was experiencing 28-29 mpg consistently in city and highway driving @ 65 mpg. When I took a trip from PA to FL and back along I-95 last year, I drove @ 75 mph and got 27 mpg with four adults and two weeks-of-vacation-gear stuffed in.

Personally, I would stay away from a used FEH (or Mercury equivalent) unless you also get an extended warranty with the deal. Battery/transaxle/electric motor is not the issue. Gasoline engine is the issue - and the gasoline engine is NOT covered by the longer Ford warranties on the 'hybrid' components.

2. No, I will not buy another.

3. The 'cool' portion of the A/C shuts down when the gasoline motor turns off, but air still flows. You can force cool A/C by setting it to 'Max', at the expense of keeping the gasoline engine running.

(BTW, my new engine cost $6500. Consider factoring that in your economics.)

Want more details? Here is the thread: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...0-miles-22393/

Old 08-20-2009, 07:02 PM

Dan, you need to stop spaming your story across this site. You have yet to state what in the heck "broke" and the cause for it. An expensive fix requires some type of explanation. Did the Jiffy Lube oil filter fail?

Old 08-26-2009, 10:32 PM

I live in OKC, similar to San Antonio, just not as hot as long, and colder longer in the winter, a little ice once in a while.

Originally Posted by SanAntonio Joe

Thanks in advance for your help. As Packard used to say, "Ask the man (or woman) who owns one."

Joe
As previous, the AC can be left on or off at a light, at least in 08 and earlier models with the Econ switch. Not too hot today, light up the econ, and at lights ICE off & AC off, mpg up. Comfort more concern than mpg, econ off, AC stays on, a little mpg hit.

I bought a FEH, mainly because it was hard enough to find, let alone a MMH. Also a MMH options were basicaly all one package, either you got everything added, or nothing (granted base models of eithr is still 'well equiped'; but I had no need for a NAV, but liked the upgraded radio & moonroof for the FEH.) I would buy another! In fact if money is right when the kids start driving in 5yrs, I may buy another then, letting them drive the 08. We'll see.

I avg 29-32mpg with an 08 FWD. I do rural driving, so mile long streaches, maybe 3 miles at most, between stop signs, 0-45mph then stop. I try to econ as much as possible, even go AC off if weather is cool enough (lucky me I work nights, I can do it more than my wife.) I can get the scan gauge to read 38-45mpg for my trips, wife, not so much, 28-32. But our tanks avg out at about 30.

I LOVE the car itself, I have the leather seats, and find them comfortable, radio is fine, the top end probably would be better (with the sub) but I only commute 5mi each way, wife wouln't let me spend the extra $3-500 for the MACH or whatever the Escape has (The Expedition has MACH and it sounds goooood ). If you can afford it, apparently the 08 redesign also made the cabin quiter then previous models, not sure if it's just the tires, or maybe more sound insulation, but I find the cabin pretty quiet.

So far So goo, but only 35k on my 08 since new. Had the battery AC blend door & rear hatch latch replaced, both under warrenty. As for the other poster saying to avoid, all we know so far is 'engine failure on the highway, $6500 repair/replace, no explanation on what failed'
NYC & SFO have had FEH's in their taxi fleets since the 05 Models came out, severl news reports on "no major problems' in their expected lifetime of usage (200k miles before retirement I think).

Good luck, don't let 1 failure (unknown reason) sway you away from a great little vehicle!

Old 09-02-2009, 02:55 PM
No longer an Enthusiast.

My new engine is getting 25.1 MPG in mostly highway driving with... 1,000 miles on it. My old engine got 28-29 mpg on the highway. I'm hoping the new engine breaks in so I can get back up to 29 MPG in mixed city/highway.

My engine failed due to a bad bearing on the #3 cylinder connecting rod. The bearing literally disintegrated - the metal fragments in the pan looked like broken up seashells in sand on the beach. I replace the oil, on average, every 3400 miles, and the repairing technician noted: "the engine is remarkably clean. I don't understand how the bearing failed. This is not your fault."

Ironically, the remanufactured engine has a better warranty than the original. Yep, I agree: one failure in... 100,000? However, it is my FEH that failed, so I have a different view on reliability. Unfortunately, Ford does not care. That's my real beef, and that is why I will not purchase another.

(How upset am I with Ford? My classic 1965 Mustang 2+2 (Fastback) is for sale. 289 4V, 4 speed, Holly, Hurst, Rangoon Red / black, Concours 2 condition. Sharp! Contact for details.)

Old 11-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Enthusiast

I live in Houston, so my experience driving in the heat will be similar to your experience in OKC. I have an 06 FEH with 72k on it. I agree with Tim K and 08hybridok. During a Houston summer, I sometimes have to turn on the Max AC to keep things cool because the cycling of the ICE with AC won't cut it.

Haven't had any problems beyond the warranty work. I use Mobil 1 and Bosch IR Platinum spark plugs. I get 30-33 MPG tank average: higher if I cruise control at 60 on the highway, lower if I am cc'ed on 70 or 75.

Enjoy!

Old 11-28-2009, 04:46 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Since the NYC FEH taxis were mentioned, I figured I'd post this old news item about them.
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/04/f...new-york-stre/

There's also http://articles.latimes.com/2009/mar...e-green-cabs30 about SF's taxis.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:15 AM
Enthusiast

I live in NJ, and I used to get great (30+) MPG with this car. For some unknown reason, the mileage has been dropping (I know to expect a drop in the winter), but now I'm averaging 21-23MPG. I don't know what could be causing this.

Quick Reply: Owners of 2006 Mariner Hybrids

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands