08 Tahoe hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 10:35 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 08 Tahoe hybrid

I will Target items number one and two during the bass test prior to removing pack.

A lot of information this morning to digest as I finish my work day.

I'll send that information as soon as I can collect it.
Thank you have a great day!

Old 06-07-2018, 11:13 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

#2 always yields the best results due to more consistent current and the ability to track it from a high/medium state of charge down to the lowest state of charge permitted w/o the ICE running.

Not sure about the GM hybrids, but you can drive the SoC lower in a Toyota by putting it in "N" as that decouples MG1 from the ICE and won't start it... it continues lower until the car senses the battery is too low and cuts the A/C. If this works for the GM, I recommend it.

#1 might be necessary to get the car to a higher state of charge. With the Gen2 Prius, one can just put it in "D", hit the brake and floor it. This will force the ICE to run MG1 at max permitted and charge the battery to about 80% SoC. Don't know if the GMs work this way.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:59 PM
Enthusiast

It is great to see realtime data coming in from Torque Pro. I had my son play with that while I was driving. The first time I got it programed.
I will verify the highest refresh rate of communication between the app and the OBD2 device. Set it to graph current and record it to a file.

I have a long and steep grade Highway near my home, should be perfect for nice long steady readings.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:03 PM

Good deal. It seems to be a given that the refresh rate is low.

I still recommend #2 for the greatest consistency.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:54 AM

The GM will start the engine at the minimum SOC it is programmed for regardless of shifter position.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Hybrid
The GM will start the engine at the minimum SOC it is programmed for regardless of shifter position.
Thanks for that.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:48 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Thanks for that.
I also follow that information.
Practicing with Torque Pro to get better at custom PID's and data logging, sorry I'm slow.

Seems like I can only get: current ( into an out from the battery pack) and state of charge from the pack along with voltage.

Monitoring the 20 pack's will be voltage only not current. According to the equation in my pids.

in addition testing the condition of my new replacement modules all for show exactly 7.9 volts. Amp hours according to mark on the modules read 6.2 amphrs on all four modules.

I am not sure how to test resistance and amp hours myself might have to use my meter for that

Old 06-08-2018, 10:49 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Thanks for that.
I also follow that information.
Practicing with Torque Pro to get better at custom PID's and data logging, sorry I'm slow.

Seems like I can only get: current ( into an out from the battery pack) and state of charge from the pack along with voltage.

Monitoring the 20 pack's will be voltage only not current. According to the equation in my pids.

in addition testing the condition of my new replacement modules all for show exactly 7.9 volts. Amp hours according to mark on the modules read 6.2 amphrs on all four modules.

I am not sure how to test resistance and amp hours myself might have to use my charger discharger for that for that.
I'll be getting some more alligator leads and Wingnuts to get this process going soon.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:16 AM

All cells in the battery are in series, thus they MUST all pass the exact same current. Thus, the pack current = block current.

The only things you need:

SoC, Current, 20 Block voltages

Nothing else plays a significant role in this exercise and may adversely influence data rate.

Resting voltages of the modules means only one thing - you have six cells that are holding a voltage. It tells you nothing of the health or state of charge of the module itself.

Read charger manual as it pertains to NiMH cells and settings.

Go into charger settings and make sure:
the cap limit is off.
the time limit is off.

Attach leads to module.
Enter NiMH program.
Discharge at 1A to 6.00V
Record capacity when complete
If measured capacity is >4000mAh, charge at 6A for 30 minutes
If measured capacity is <4000mAh, charge at 6A for 15 minutes
If measured capacity is < 3000mAh, charge at 6A for 10 minutes
If measured capacity is < 2000mAh, you got lemons. Get your money back

For the timed charges, you can set a timer and terminate manually, or you can use the time limit. The purpose for the charge is to ensure they don't sit in a fully discharged state, which may damage them.

Repeat for all 4 modules.

If you got what was advertised ("balanced"), they should all be within about 10% of each other.

Lastly, please list the serial numbers of the modules.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:28 PM
Enthusiast

We are getting down to it now.

I will set up torque to log and then I will post that data.
SoC, Current, 20 block voltages.
1) can I get that all in one bar graph or should I run those 20 Block voltages in a separate graph.?

Torque gives many choices hard to know which one to pick.

I will test my "new to me" modules as you recommend.
Serial numbers:
#8. 1531LG071550
#20. 1531LG071700
#25. 1531LG071770
#26. 1531LG071740

Quick Reply: 08 Tahoe hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands