Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   GM Hybrid Trucks, Cadillac Escalade Hybrid, Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid & GMC Yukon Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/)
-   -   09 Chevy Tahoe hybrid transmission replacement (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/09-chevy-tahoe-hybrid-transmission-replacement-31035/)

09chevytahoe 12-06-2016 06:52 PM

09 Chevy Tahoe hybrid transmission replacement

I just had my transmission replaced by a family mechanic. The truck will not go into gear at all and will turn off after a while. The mechanic is saying that I might have to take it into dealer to reprogram transmission computer. Has anybody replaced the transmission before and had to do this in order for it to work? Thanks

Hillbilly_Hybrid 12-07-2016 04:44 PM

Re: 09 Chevy Tahoe hybrid transmission replacement

Replaced the whole transmission? The transmission computer is inside.

09chevytahoe 12-07-2016 06:12 PM

Yes he replaced the whole transmission. The transmission it had before had big pieces of metal and would stay in limp mode only.

09chevytahoe 12-20-2016 04:47 PM

Does anybody know if you can change the transmission on a hybrid truck with a used one from a different truck? Dealer is saying that you can't that it has to be a remanufactured one from them.

Hillbilly_Hybrid 12-21-2016 05:36 PM

Yes you can, however the transmission hydraulic computer is inside the transmission. Programming and VIN has to match.

09chevytahoe 12-21-2016 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Hybrid (Post 261442)
Yes you can, however the transmission hydraulic computer is inside the transmission. Programming and VIN has to match.

Ok so the dealer would be able to go in and reprogram the computer to the new vin with the tech 2? I had already replaced the transmission with a used one and the truck wouldn't shift into gear and rpms would act crazy. I took it in to the dealer so they could reprogram the computer inside the transmission with the new truck vin and they said that the transmission had to be replaced again with a new one from them only. The transmission that was installed came from a running truck that was crashed I was able to test drive it before I bought it. I will try to call another dealer and see what they say but I'm not sure if they know what their doing. Is it possible to change the transmission computer inside the new transmission with the old transmission computer that was originally on the truck? I think the transmission would have to be taken apart but is it possible in order for the new transmission to work? Thanks for the reply

Hillbilly_Hybrid 12-22-2016 07:29 AM

The Transmission Hydraulic Control Module can be swapped between units. Lots of expensive fluid.

jimr5454 01-01-2017 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by 09chevytahoe (Post 261232)
I just had my transmission replaced by a family mechanic. The truck will not go into gear at all and will turn off after a while. The mechanic is saying that I might have to take it into dealer to reprogram transmission computer. Has anybody replaced the transmission before and had to do this in order for it to work? Thanks

Aldo Melendez 02-20-2019 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by 09chevytahoe (Post 261443)
Ok so the dealer would be able to go in and reprogram the computer to the new vin with the tech 2? I had already replaced the transmission with a used one and the truck wouldn't shift into gear and rpms would act crazy. I took it in to the dealer so they could reprogram the computer inside the transmission with the new truck vin and they said that the transmission had to be replaced again with a new one from them only. The transmission that was installed came from a running truck that was crashed I was able to test drive it before I bought it. I will try to call another dealer and see what they say but I'm not sure if they know what their doing. Is it possible to change the transmission computer inside the new transmission with the old transmission computer that was originally on the truck? I think the transmission would have to be taken apart but is it possible in order for the new transmission to work? Thanks for the reply

Hey, just wondering. What happened with your truck? I'm having the same problem and called my local chevy dealer to take my truck in a few days. Did you need to swap the transmission out again or did they make it work?

09chevytahoe 02-22-2019 06:24 PM

I had to replace the transmission with a rebuilt one from the dealer. Even after they replaced it it’s been at the dealer 3 times for the same problems I had before. They just kept replacing the solenoids and computer on the new transmission. The last time I had it in with the same problems the dealer said that the truck was throwing a hybrid battery code so they couldn’t fix it again until I replaced the hybrid battery. Now the truck is just sitting in my backyard. They wanted another 4 thousand for the new battery