09 Escalade Hybrid Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 06:01 AM
Enthusiast
Default 09 Escalade Hybrid Hesitation

I need help with this stupid Escalade. Traded my Denali for a Escalade Hybrid and it's been the worst decision I ever made.

Since I bought it on June 1st I have had this random hesitation when I hit the gas to take off. It does it on flat ground or inclines, it does it hot or cool, it does it as soon as start up and driving for a while. It's very random and no certain times, but it is multiple times every day. I made it very clear to the dealership the same day I bought it, a hour or so after driving it off the lot. I have taken it in 4 times since June 1st and they have sent it to Chevy twice (first time they said it was the battery cables and terminals and changed those then the second time they thought it was the transmission). The battery cables and terminals obviously didn't fix the problem. The next time it was sent to Cadillac to get their opinion and after keeping it for a week they say "this is normal, it's supposed to do this".... I'm sorry, I may be a woman, but i'm no idiot. I have owned 2 Yukon's and now this thing. I get to know my vehicles for this reason. This is NOT normal, it's NOT normal to have to say a prayer every time you take off across a 4 way or need to turn left or right across traffic and hope you don't get hit because it hesitates/stalls out and you don't know if it's going to go or not. That Cadillac dealership is a joke. I have kids and I'm a bit scared to drive it. I just don't know what to do!

Old 08-30-2018, 05:04 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 09 Escalade Hybrid Hesitation

Originally Posted by tiffmck83
I need help with this stupid Escalade. Traded my Denali for a Escalade Hybrid and it's been the worst decision I ever made.

Since I bought it on June 1st I have had this random hesitation when I hit the gas to take off. It does it on flat ground or inclines, it does it hot or cool, it does it as soon as start up and driving for a while. It's very random and no certain times, but it is multiple times every day. I made it very clear to the dealership the same day I bought it, a hour or so after driving it off the lot. I have taken it in 4 times since June 1st and they have sent it to Chevy twice (first time they said it was the battery cables and terminals and changed those then the second time they thought it was the transmission). The battery cables and terminals obviously didn't fix the problem. The next time it was sent to Cadillac to get their opinion and after keeping it for a week they say "this is normal, it's supposed to do this".... I'm sorry, I may be a woman, but i'm no idiot. I have owned 2 Yukon's and now this thing. I get to know my vehicles for this reason. This is NOT normal, it's NOT normal to have to say a prayer every time you take off across a 4 way or need to turn left or right across traffic and hope you don't get hit because it hesitates/stalls out and you don't know if it's going to go or not. That Cadillac dealership is a joke. I have kids and I'm a bit scared to drive it. I just don't know what to do!
Most likely the traction battery(main hybrid battery) is weak/worn out and needs to be replaced. But....I would start with checking the 12V battery and the auxiliary transmission pump ....both of these things are much less expensive to replace and can cause the symptoms you describe.

FYI -the original Traction battery is projected to last 10 years or 150K miles...less is subjected to extreme heat or cold....or long periods of sitting idle.

You really need to find a GM dealership with a technician that is an expert at diagnosing hybrid/electric vehicles....this will most likely be a Chevy dealer because they have the most hybrid/electric models.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:37 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 09 Escalade Hybrid Hesitation

This thread kind of strikes a chord. I am NOT selling my 18 Denali Ultimate truck. I just got this old 09 Tahoe Hybrid beater to drive to work. I think the hybrid technology is pretty good but Not 100% yet. You know it is cool though to be "Saving the World one Electron at a time" Heck I may have to put little motto on my back window glass LOL

This is my baby right here now....