09 HyHoe

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 06:44 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 09 HyHoe

Hey Serge, both trucks look great. Even with most of the goodies off, the Tahoe has a slick aggressive look.

Interestingly, I have a colleague who has been talking to me about the big 3 fix. He used a kit from Elemental designs. However his denali is a 2006 NBS one, not sure if that changes anything.

He says it works perfectly, though admittedly I really don't know how the big 3 kit fixes the problem, is it just bigger gauge wire?

Here a link I found for the eD kit:
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=164

Last edited by 09tahoehybrid; 02-07-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:25 PM
aka soulsea

Thanks bud ... both on the compliment and the linkie.

It's actually interesting ... for all the mods that went into the HyHoe, the ones that are most striking are the chrome rims (22s at first now the Denali 20s) and the dual tips. Honestly, someone could do those two things alone and dramatically change/improve the look of their Hybrid.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Enthusiast

Serge quick question, did u put spacers on your rear wheels when the tahoe was on 22's?

Old 02-07-2012, 08:41 PM
aka soulsea

Yup ... 5/8 of an inch custom fabricated billet aluminum spacer that just slid between the wheel and the hub so that the existing oem lug nuts for oem 22s could still be used.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HyHoe
Yup ... 5/8 of an inch custom fabricated billet aluminum spacer that just slid between the wheel and the hub so that the existing oem lug nuts for oem 22s could still be used.
What difference did the spacers make?

Old 02-07-2012, 09:11 PM
aka soulsea

They made each rear wheel stick out 5/8 of an inch outwards.

It's just an aesthetic thing in order to make the rear wheels line up closer to the edge of the quarter panel arches. The bodies on these trucks seem to widen from front to back ... so whereas a 22x9 wheel with 285/45/22 tires are almost flush with the edge of the front fenders, without spacers in the rear they tuck in quite a bit. The 5/8 spacer remedies this to some degree making the whole thing visually more symmetrical.

-------------

ETA: People also use these to clear big brake kits (brembo/wilwood) if their wheel offset/spokes doen't clear the calipers.

Last edited by HyHoe; 02-07-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Enthusiast

Wow awesome info, I had no idea the rear wheels tucked. Anything I should look out for when choosing a 5/8 spacer? Material etc.
Are the ones with the studs built on needed? Yours are custom, so no link right?

Old 02-07-2012, 09:38 PM
aka soulsea

I'll take a pic of them and post it.

Tbh I don't know if they make 6 lug 5/8 spacers for sale 'off the shelf' for our trucks. The friend who gave these to me was using them on his custom RCSB Silvy and had them fabricated for it. The key for these is that they are small enough that they don't need fasteners. Meaning that most 1"+ spacers bolt onto the hub and the wheels bolt onto the spacer ... this one is small enough to slide in between the wheel and the hub using the existing bolts.

Hopefully that all makes sense.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:45 PM
aka soulsea

Old 02-07-2012, 10:25 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HyHoe
I'll take a pic of them and post it.

Tbh I don't know if they make 6 lug 5/8 spacers for sale 'off the shelf' for our trucks. The friend who gave these to me was using them on his custom RCSB Silvy and had them fabricated for it. The key for these is that they are small enough that they don't need fasteners. Meaning that most 1"+ spacers bolt onto the hub and the wheels bolt onto the spacer ... this one is small enough to slide in between the wheel and the hub using the existing bolts.

Hopefully that all makes sense.
It makes perfect sense, thanks to your great explanation.

You are right, no off the shelf, can be custom made for an average of $100 for the pair. If I get them custom made should I still get 5/8 or do you think a different size is better. Also why don't I hear more about spacers? Do the denali/esky with 22's from the factory tuck too? How noticeable is it?
Sorry to bombard you with all these questions, but just when I thought I had everything on the Tahoe figured out ...lol

Quick Reply: 09 HyHoe

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands