2 weeks with my Hybrid-its dead today

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 09:38 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2 weeks with my Hybrid-its dead today

I want to thank all the members here again for providing a great database of info for owners. I have had my 08' Hybrid for 2 weeks now and have had a couple concerns. The first being the weird motor niose coming from what I think are the brakes. It sounds like a small electric motor running...no effect on vehicle performance and it disappears in about a min. I hopoe this is just normal. Second is consmetic, but really annoying, the rubber coating on the steering wheel is peeling. Gas mileage isnt bad...avg.18.7, but I live in W. PA so there are alot of hills. I was just about to leave for lunch today and my vehicle is dead...so dead the key fob wouldn't unlock the doors. GM roadside is towing the vehicle as we speak. Not sure how this could happen even if I left lights on (which I didn't) within a 3 hour period.
Hope it gets better from here..because I do like the vehicle overall.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:53 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default have them check

the 12v battery to make sure it is the correct one. some 2008's were shipped with incorrect 12 batteries under the hood which have caused issues and been replaced under warranty, you can't just stuff any old 12v in it for some reason. I believe there is a TSB out on this issue.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:05 PM
Administrator
Default Re: 2 weeks with my Hybrid-its dead today

get a new battery from the dealer. congrats on your new car. driving a hybrid needs getting used to. there are weird noises, sometimes electric sparks noise but everything is good. after driving a loaner escalade for three days, I rather be driving the hybrid.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:51 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: have them check

Originally Posted by jet1
the 12v battery to make sure it is the correct one. some 2008's were shipped with incorrect 12 batteries under the hood which have caused issues and been replaced under warranty, you can't just stuff any old 12v in it for some reason. I believe there is a TSB out on this issue.
Anybody know about this TSB???

Last night I went to buy fuel, When I got there I turned the engine off, But accidentally left the key on with power going to the gauges, Well it left everything else on like the seat heater, The heater was still on auto, The head lights where on, And the radio as well.

Within one minutes time with everything left on I was going through gauges on the dash and noticed it read 11 volts, So of course me being me I wanted to see if it would start and it would not start at all, So I just turned all the accessories off and it started up on the second turn of the key switch.

I just didn't think it should go that low that quick.

I am surprised that they put in such a small cold cranking amp battery in this vehicle, Mine's rated at 600 CCA, I'm a boat service technician and all the Mercruisers MPI style engines have a minimum of 750 CCA that is needed to start a EFI/MPI engine using a marine starting battery, And a basic marine engine in most boats does not have anywhere near the amount of accessories a vehicle like this has on board that I can think of off hand without getting all technical between the two.

I have already had to charge the battery up once a few months ago for leaving the interior lights on for about a half hour.

Thanks.

Last edited by Fun Times; 11-30-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

1porscheman - don't leave us in suspense. Have they found the issue with your Tahoe yet?

Old 12-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Enthusiast

Sorry for not responding...yes, they found that there was a bad cell in the battery, and not covered under warranty. Roadside was great picked up car in 30min. no charge. The dealer charged for diagnosis and battery..$316 w/tax...not happy about it, but hey could be worse. had the car back next morning. Yes, I'm still getting used to driving the hybrid. My wife loves it not because of the gas mileage...because I've been driving so slow! I have been trying to keep it in V4 like you all have mentioned on here. I'm getting 18.5mpg right now...way better than the 11mpg I was getting in my h2 sut (wife hated hummer..thought it was stupid).
Thanks Again

Old 12-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm pretty surprised to hear the cost of replacing a cell is so low - and also that a single bad cell knocked out the Tahoe.

Glad to hear you have it back on the road!

Old 12-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Lake,

It was a bad cell in the 12 volt battery, not a bad cell in the traction battery. They just replaced the 12 volt battery.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:37 AM
Administrator

the hybrid battery has an 8 year, 100k mile warranty. it is the 12V that is not covered unfortunately.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

Aha - that makes much more sense. That price seemed pretty darned cheap for replacing a cell in the traction battery. On the other hand - $300+ for a 12V is pretty steep!

Quick Reply: 2 weeks with my Hybrid-its dead today

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands