2009 Silverado hybrid Rack and Pinion Failure off roading

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 09:21 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default 2009 Silverado hybrid Rack and Pinion Failure off roading

My hybrid sees off-road duties, nothing extreme, but not sissy at all.

3 weeks ago taking it out of the garage, I notice a squeaky sound turning. Crawl under the truck to inspect it and found a torn plastic boot (GM says is a special space age material!, hard plastic for me).

Needless to say, water got in, and all the bearings in the rack are as good as square wheels.

What I manage to do so far until I figure out what to do for protection and choose one of the 3 part numbers I have so far, was to take out the electric motor. Lot of water came out in the shape of chocolate milk.
So I used 3 cans of wd-40 sprayed in the electric motor hole, moving the steering lock to lock, until all came clear. Sound level dropped 50%+ and i put some bearing grease inside.

Put back the electric motor, replace the boot. The steering works normal minus the sound.

The only thing I have figure out is installing the Skid plates that come in the Z71 package, cause the truck have no under protection at all, just a thin plate for the electric motor.

A friend's Sierra Hybrid 2009 4x4 had the same problem. So we checked for clearance issues due to the leveling in front (I have Bilstein 5100 for the leveling, he has some spacers), but in all position of the steering, and various suspension deflection angles, the boot never touches anything on the frame parts in the vicinity.

If anyone have encounter this, give a chime, anyway, I'll work towards resolving it, and post for u all.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2009 Silverado hybrid Rack and Pinion Failure off roading

Gabe,
It looks like something got up there and tore open the boot. But you said you installed the skid-plates and it is still exposed?
It is hard to tell from the photo, but that body mounting bolt in the foreground could be a good place to mount a protection plate to prevent a recurrence. Likely, it was a freak thing, like a well-placed branch or sign post you rolled over.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Oh, wait. By "cause" you meant "because"? So, you don't have the plates? If so, that would probably be mandatory if you are a pretty regular off-roader.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yeap,

I just order a few sets of those plates. None came with the truck.

Now, under the truck, I saw this aux pump in the front base of the transmission, makes me uncomfortable ! Might end up doing some custom skid plate for it.

I see your point of the bolt and some extra protection there, because once the plates are installed, there is a lot of room to invite some hard debris to party there ! Thanks

Old 04-07-2010, 03:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Gabe Hi is not your 2009 under warranty? Is this not a warranty issue?

Old 04-07-2010, 03:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hi Ken,

Still under warranty, but, the issue might be a little painful to proof that the boot material is lame.

That plastic is kind of hard, and not as flexible. IMO GM should install a more flexible resistant (like Urethane) boot there and on the axles that are expose to anything to jump them on and off the road....just my 2cents.

But still a lack of prevention on my behalf, should shield her tummy before the beating !

Old 04-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Gabe,
Yes I agree however they GM should cover it. Although your location may give you some issues.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

This is a weird thing, as for now, I have seen 7 Silverado Hybrids with the same problem, Rack is down because of water getting in.

So far I notice that the boot is there to protect the knucle of the rod from getting water in, not to keep water from the rack, cause the rack is suppost to be sealed.

Somebody have heard in the northern parts this problem? Also, no tahoes, Yukon, escalades have not reported this problem so far !