2009 Yukon AFM DOD Delete

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 10:55 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2009 Yukon AFM DOD Delete

Hello all, I had the dreaded AFM DOD issue with a valve stuck.
I have repaired the valves, all new lifters and new VLOM.
truck is running like it should now.

I have been searching for someone that can turn off AFM on the ECM but have had no luck.
I have also reached out to Range technology asking about their OBD-II plugin module, but they said it will not work on the hybrid...
same with brendon with lt1swap, HP Tuner, and Hypertech.

any Ideas on how to get rid of the AFM, or am I stuck with it?
Thanks in advance.
Henry

Old 02-26-2019, 08:09 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2009 Yukon AFM DOD Delete

I have a 2009 Tahoe Hybrid. I use the Range Tech AFM delete. Works fine. It even says on their listing it works on ALL AFM GM vehicles.

I haven't seen my truck go into V4 mode since I installed it. Whoever told you it doesn't work seems like they got the wrong impression. Maybe because they read 'hybrid', and these trucks aren't really standard hybrids. I'll check and see if it goes back into V4 mode but I haven't felt the slight kicking in of the extra 4 cylinders when I give it gas and the dash holds at V8. I'll check it again and hit you up if I see anything different.

Quick update, drove to and from the grocery store with the "INSTECON V8" dash screen up. Stayed in v8 the entire time to and from. I haven't really checked it too much but I'm pretty sure when the light turns solid colored on the Range OBD2 device, that means that the AFM delete is in action. It turns solid after a second or two of flashing every time I start the car.

I would buy the Range device. I got my Hybrid at 92k about a month ago and I'm desperately trying to avoid that collapsed lifter concern that everyone talks about AFM having. It's pretty affordable and although you're guaranteed to lose a few MPG, I think spending what you did every time your lifter / cam busts would make up for a good chunk of the savings you'd have on gasoline.

Last edited by erick.oc; 02-26-2019 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:02 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by erick.oc
I have a 2009 Tahoe Hybrid. I use the Range Tech AFM delete. Works fine. It even says on their listing it works on ALL AFM GM vehicles.

I haven't seen my truck go into V4 mode since I installed it. Whoever told you it doesn't work seems like they got the wrong impression. Maybe because they read 'hybrid', and these trucks aren't really standard hybrids. I'll check and see if it goes back into V4 mode but I haven't felt the slight kicking in of the extra 4 cylinders when I give it gas and the dash holds at V8. I'll check it again and hit you up if I see anything different.

Quick update, drove to and from the grocery store with the "INSTECON V8" dash screen up. Stayed in v8 the entire time to and from. I haven't really checked it too much but I'm pretty sure when the light turns solid colored on the Range OBD2 device, that means that the AFM delete is in action. It turns solid after a second or two of flashing every time I start the car.

I would buy the Range device. I got my Hybrid at 92k about a month ago and I'm desperately trying to avoid that collapsed lifter concern that everyone talks about AFM having. It's pretty affordable and although you're guaranteed to lose a few MPG, I think spending what you did every time your lifter / cam busts would make up for a good chunk of the savings you'd have on gasoline.
Thanks for the reply.
Question... does the engine still cut off when you are stopped?I saw on range website that it stops engine off.
I still want that feature.
Thanks
Henry

Old 02-27-2019, 07:03 AM
Enthusiast

I use the Range AFM device without issue in my 2009 Escalade hybrid. It simply forces V8 mode all the time. Everything else works as it should, including Autostop.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:58 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ckleven
I use the Range AFM device without issue in my 2009 Escalade hybrid. It simply forces V8 mode all the time. Everything else works as it should, including Autostop.
Great!, I will order one!
Thanks all!!!

Old 02-27-2019, 10:02 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cncguy2000
Thanks for the reply.
Question... does the engine still cut off when you are stopped?I saw on range website that it stops engine off.
I still want that feature.
Thanks
Henry
It works 100%. The only thing it does is keeps it out of V4. Still goes in autostop when it's below 30ish mph. No dash lights or quirks.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:36 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by erick.oc
It works 100%. The only thing it does is keeps it out of V4. Still goes in autostop when it's below 30ish mph. No dash lights or quirks.
thanks, it's ordered!

Old 03-01-2019, 04:07 PM
Enthusiast

If anyone wondered what is inside the lifters, here ya go... lots of tight tolerance parts.

Old 03-01-2019, 04:32 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Awesome pics, thanks for contributing. Did you do all the engine work yourself?

Old 03-02-2019, 08:13 AM
Enthusiast

Unfortunately my work schedule and age, did not agree to this scope of work to the truck. I have rebuilt engines before, and do minor stuff, axles, bearings, electrical etc. I have a friends son who is a mechanic at stealership, I paid him to do the work, I ordered the parts. Sometimes you got to admit defeat!

Quick Reply: 2009 Yukon AFM DOD Delete

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands