2009 Yukon hybrid oil usage

Old 11-05-2017, 02:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2009 Yukon hybrid oil usage

2009 gmc Yukon hybrid 6.0 v8 engine

Ok, I bought this Yukon in March 2017, about a week after buying it my oil pressure sensor went out. Got that fixed. Then in May my 16 lifters in cylinder 1 were replaced as well as the pressure sensor again, Within the last week the engine light came on, got the code checked came back with pressure sensor bad. Made an appointment to get it fixed at the same time my husband checked oil said it was low. He put 2 quarts in. Next day went to have sensor fixed. They said nothing wrong with sensor but it was 2 quarts low. There is no nocking, There is no smoke. There is no oil leaking anywhere underneath it. It's just gone. I know my husband put 5w30 in it. And I know that is what the shops use but I don't know if it was synthetic or not . The stuff we used was not synthetic.

any idea on what can be going on. Is not using synthetic using the oil or something else wrong.

gauges are all normal, oil pressure gauge fluctuates

please help thanks !
concerned in Minnesota

Last edited by BethV; 11-05-2017 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Added engine size
Old 11-05-2017, 02:41 PM
Default Re: 2009 Yukon hybrid oil usage

All of the issues seem to be related. Has the issue gone away since the dealer added the 2 quarts they said it was down? Maybe someone forgot to fill up the oil to the right level. Some hypermilers will purposely under-fill the oil. Maybe the previous owner did that to get better fuel economy?

Also, in my civic, it will throw an oil sensor code if the oil is too low. I don't know how the oil sensors in the yukon work though. Also, could it be a problem with the oil pump?

Old 11-05-2017, 02:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

synthetic/not-synthetic doesn't matter one bit. Period.

If the car is not on level ground, the oil measurement is inaccurate. If you checked it in your driveway, most driveways are not at all level and may have made it read higher. The shop's measurement should be accurate as they likely did it on a level floor or on a level lift.

You have no useful data. It's he said/she said. Take it upon yourself to get to the bottom of it. Check it regularly, on a flat surface and after the engine has been off for 5 minutes to allow the oil to drain back down into the pan.

Do that, and you'll know what's happening with your oil. My gut says you've been running it perpetually low on oil due to bad practices.

It is possible to burn oil without smoke. 200K+ mile priuses do it all the time... 1-2 quarts in 5000 miles, but never a puff of smoke.

Old 11-05-2017, 02:53 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
synthetic/not-synthetic doesn't matter one bit. Period.

If the car is not on level ground, the oil measurement is inaccurate. If you checked it in your driveway, most driveways are not at all level and may have made it read higher. The shop's measurement should be accurate as they likely did it on a level floor or on a level lift.

You have no useful data. It's he said/she said. Take it upon yourself to get to the bottom of it. Check it regularly, on a flat surface and after the engine has been off for 5 minutes to allow the oil to drain back down into the pan.

Do that, and you'll know what's happening with your oil. My gut says you've been running it perpetually low on oil due to bad practices.

It is possible to burn oil without smoke. 200K+ mile priuses do it all the time... 1-2 quarts in 5000 miles, but never a puff of smoke.

oil is checked in our garage which is level oil was changed 2-3k Miles ago and just started happening in the last week/2

Old 11-05-2017, 02:56 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BethV
oil is checked in our garage which is level oil was changed 2-3k Miles ago and just started happening in the last week/2

so there isnt necessarily anything wrong with it if it's using oil.

Old 11-05-2017, 02:58 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tbaleno
All of the issues seem to be related. Has the issue gone away since the dealer added the 2 quarts they said it was down? Maybe someone forgot to fill up the oil to the right level. Some hypermilers will purposely under-fill the oil. Maybe the previous owner did that to get better fuel economy?

Also, in my civic, it will throw an oil sensor code if the oil is too low. I don't know how the oil sensors in the yukon work though. Also, could it be a problem with the oil pump?
oil was checked the next day again after I drove it for a day. And it read low on the dipstick

Old 11-05-2017, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Synthetic oil is required for the LFA engine since it also has the AFM. Doing otherwise will get you problems about lifter failures, etc.

Old 11-05-2017, 05:44 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by evois
Synthetic oil is required for the LFA engine since it also has the AFM. Doing otherwise will get you problems about lifter failures, etc.
so I need to get synthetic in right away. And it should quit using oil like it is

Old 11-05-2017, 06:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

There are many non-synthetic oils on the "must use GM6094M oil" list:

http://stuartschmitt.com/car/gm_appr...ngine_oils.pdf

Old 11-05-2017, 07:29 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
There are many non-synthetic oils on the "must use GM6094M oil" list:

http://stuartschmitt.com/car/gm_appr...ngine_oils.pdf

I'll have to double checj, but I believe my husband has been topping off with mobile 5w30 clean 5000

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 Yukon hybrid oil usage

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands