Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   GM Hybrid Trucks, Cadillac Escalade Hybrid, Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid & GMC Yukon Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/)
-   -   2011 Yukon Hybrid A/C went out...1 month after warranty (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/2011-yukon-hybrid-c-went-out-1-month-after-warranty-31967/)

SonomaGTLS6 06-10-2019 12:05 PM

2011 Yukon Hybrid A/C went out...1 month after warranty

I’m a DIYer and am half tempted just to buy a r-194a recharge kit with POE oil to try to recharge it. Literally my hybrid components warranty expired May 9. Also found a broken header bolt...being the AC and aluminum 6.0L are hybrid specific, has anyone had any luck getting dealer to recharge their A/C within warranty, let alone just out of it?

dnt1010 06-12-2019 12:23 AM

Re: 2011 Yukon Hybrid A/C went out...1 month after warranty

Are you replacing system components? Unless you have replaced a component or had a line leak that released system oil you do not need to add any refrigerant oil. The Hybrids specify a special refrigerant oil but if you just need to recharge the AC just use R-134A without any additives. Do you have a set of manifold gauges? I hate to see people go at this blind without proper equipment especially when you can buy a set so cheaply.......I love my expensive Yellow Jacket Equipment, but it is not a necessity. A cheap set less than 50 bones (tank of fuel) will work just fine for the occasional user.

SonomaGTLS6 06-12-2019 04:33 AM

Thanks for the response. I’m not sure if the oil leaked out but will look before either taking it in or doing it myself. I may just buy a manifold set since one of my other cars AC is also getting weak...I know i’ve seen the dual gauge kits at Harbor Freight.

If I did have to add oil, do you know the procedure for that?

S Keith 06-12-2019 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by SonomaGTLS6 (Post 268203)
Thanks for the response. I’m not sure if the oil leaked out but will look before either taking it in or doing it myself. I may just buy a manifold set since one of my other cars AC is also getting weak...I know i’ve seen the dual gauge kits at Harbor Freight.

If I did have to add oil, do you know the procedure for that?

Toyota recommend that you not use equipment that is exposed to non-hybrid oil, i.e., if you get a set of manifold gauges for the hybrid, only use them on hybrid-electric compressors. Honda too. I assume GM would be the same since contamination with non-hybrid oil has the same implications.