2013 GMC Yukon DRL and LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 10:40 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2013 GMC Yukon DRL and LEDs

I replaced my headlights with aftermarket ones that include LED lights with standard H1 headlight bulbs and high beam bulbs. I am using the power wire from the DRL/Headlight bulb to power the LEDs. I don't like the look of the headlight bulb on for the DRL so I would like to block the headlight bulb from coming on till the full 12V is applied. As it is now the DRL is powered by applying a lower voltage, somewhere around 9V to the headlight circuit. I researched using a zener diode to prevent the low voltage to the headlight bulb, but still power the LEDs. With 100W H1 Super Bright Xenon bulbs it is hard to find a zener that would work so I am considering a relay. My question is would the minimum voltage requirement of a relay block the power to the bulbs because it wouldn't produce enough of a magnetic field? Can I control that voltage by using a resistor in series with the relay coil? Would constant current flowing through the relay coil during the DRL period burn it up quickly? Is there any other suggestion to accomplish the intended results? Keep in mind I need the DRL circuit to power the LEDs so I can't disable the circuit. This would be the same issue with HIDs installed. The low voltage would cause the ballasts to try to fire, but not enough volts so would flicker.

Last edited by lvflyer; 01-12-2019 at 10:43 AM.