6.0 Hybrid Tahoe engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 07:20 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 6.0 Hybrid Tahoe engine

The valve updated cover replacement fixed it for my 09 Yukon Hybrid, it was so bad oil was puddled up in the bottom of the intake manifold just past the throttle body. Now goes about 4500 miles on a quart, not bad for 185K mile engine.

Originally Posted by dnt1010
Old Thread but I too was looking for 6.0 FLA engine information (FOUND IT) Thanks JimToonz (if he is still around it has been 5 years LOL) Looks like my newly acquired 2009 Chevy Tahoe is going to consume some oil. I just poured in a quart of M1 5w30 after driving it for about 1200 miles over the last month. It is right at the full mark, which is where it was at when I checked it right after I bought the Ho about a month ago. I was told by the previous owner that this Ho had always had synthetic oil run in it and was changed regularly. After searching around I see a couple of internet articles about this being one of the engines that had a bad drivers side valve cover interior baffle, this apparently allows the PVC system to pull oil out and it goes directly into the intake and mixes with air and gets burned in the engine? A couple of articles mentioned a GM redesigned valve cover replacement that uses a different type baffle? I guess that I will pull the air intake boot at the throttle body today and see if I see any oil laying in the throttle body/Intake. That seems to be the main indicator.
NO WAY this is an isolated incident, so who else has had this issue? and if they had it, was it resolved by a redesigned valve cover? Or maybe a catch can would work in this case? Will add a few pics here of the interior of the throttle body "IF" I get around to doing that today............about worn down from yesterdays traction battery cooling system cleaning Haha.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:12 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 6.0 Hybrid Tahoe engine

I do see an improvement but it still uses a quart every 2000 miles, I guess that is not too bad considering it has 205k miles on it. It actually had the updated cover already on it but the PCV opening was all sludged over, glad I changed it. I am now changing oil when the oil on the dipstick starts looking dark. Averaging around 3000 miles and around 50% to 60% on OLM. Lots of people will say that is a waste of money but in my honest opinion there are way too many engine internal parts that depend on clean oil to run it up to what the OLM says, plus I am hoping the fresh oil will wash away some of that nasty sludge that I saw on the inside of the old valve cover.