Accessories: Wheels/Performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 08:06 PM
Enthusiast
Default Accessories: Wheels/Performance

Has anyone upgraded wheels on the Yukon/Tahoe? The Escalades come with the non-Hybrid's 22 inchers. Can we put similar weight and dimensioned 22's on w/o affecting mileage?

Also, anyone put exhaust, intake, chip in theirs yet?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Macmtr

Old 05-25-2009, 10:44 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Accessories: Wheels/Performance

I was hoping someone would have done it. The Denali and Escalade Hybrids all have 22"

I have been thinking about going 20" for the ride.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The larger the tire diameter, the more gas you'll burn. The more weight the tire/wheel combo has, the more gas you'll burn. The further out the weight is from the hub, the more it hurts gas mileage. These are all the same rules drag racers use for going fast. The momentum of the wheel/tire has to be overcome (x4) each time you start. On our cars, about 20% of that energy can be recovered for use again. It is not a coincidence that the Yukon and Tahoe have identical wheels, these are lightweight and strong units with low-rolling resistance tires, optimized for gas mileage. The Escalade gives this up for style. They take a 1MPG hit in the city and 1MPG on the highway for the stylish roof rack.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

I would give up 1 mpg for better looking wheels.
Actually all I want is Chrome Wheels. But the cost to re-chrome the stock ones are almost as much as aftermarket.