after 1 week of ownership...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 07:17 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default after 1 week of ownership...

My YUKON is nothing short of amazing! WELL DONE GM! I just filled the tank (its going on a trip tomorrow and was at the 1/2 mark) I am getting 22 MPG 90% in town driving....you really need to spend time driving and paying attention to the various guages and your own butt dyno but if you learn the car it is really rewarding. I talked to a prius owner and they asked me what kind of mileage I get...I told them 22 in town...they didn't believe me so I showed them the computer readout....neener neener! that was fun!

Old 02-08-2009, 05:07 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: after 1 week of ownership...

Sounds like you are very happy with the vehicle. I've seen this board a bit split on how mileage is percieved. I like the fact that the 2 mode in the Tahoe is a really big powerful system. It does not compromise anything. You get all the power, over 6000 pounds of towing, lots of interior room and I bet if the Tahoe is filled with people and gear, the mileage drop will be next to nothing. I have a Dodge Dakota that I can squeek 18 mpg out of on the highway if I keep it under 60mph. I have been forced to drive the truck in the city of DC a handful of times and have seen mileage in the 8-14 mpg range and we have the rear wheel drive model. I wonder what a 4wd model would get.

In comparison, our Civic gets around 45 mpg most all the time with the car lightly loaded. Yesturday, I had 4 full size adults in the car and some stuff in the trunk. My mileage dropped into the mid 30's! I would have to say that the Tahoe is a real game maker. In the city I bet it gets twice the mileage of its peers. It is not subject to the same loss of mileage dependant on load like a small displacement system in a car like a Civic or Prius.

I am waiting with baited breath to drive the Silverado 2 mode hybrid as a possible replacement for our Dakota.....but I'll see if we have any money when that time comes. Congrats on the new Yukon and let us know how the mileage trends in the future!

Old 02-08-2009, 07:22 AM
FLY NAVY!

i'm very pleased and its not even broken in yet...(the car or me) with the on board readouts its easy to get good mileage. I timed my drive home from work in evening traffic and found thet the engine was on for only about 2 minutes...the rest of the trip was on battery only. of course the bumper to bumper 30 mph helped out, but 5 miles with only 2 minutes of gas propulsion is prety good for something this big. I went from a jeep grand cherokee 5.9 which got 11 mpg city or highway so I've covered the extra insurance cost right off the bat with the fuel savings.!!!

Old 02-09-2009, 04:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

How easy is it to keep the system in all electric mode? What is your commute per day? Sounds impressive that the engine ran for about 2 minutes on a 5 mile trip through the city. At what speed does the gas engine kick in? Look forward to more updates!

Old 02-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

In stop & go traffic its pretty easy. But drivers will be cursing you if you try to stay in electric mode accelerating from a light.

The ICE start at about 30 mph.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:36 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default well.....

Originally Posted by challenger1
How easy is it to keep the system in all electric mode? What is your commute per day? Sounds impressive that the engine ran for about 2 minutes on a 5 mile trip through the city. At what speed does the gas engine kick in? Look forward to more updates!
you have two options a very lite touch on the throttle up to 30 keeps it in elec only only. As was stated you have to pay attention to traffic flow and not get too slow but mine seems to keep up just fine. the other thecnique I have tried so far is normal acceleration to get it moving on both elec and gas mode then feathering off the throttle till the v4 mode kicks in. In traffic you can then feather it even further if under 30 and the elec will take over entirely on mine and keep you moving. the only thing that defeats this is the other drivers that simply cannot maintain a stready speed.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

For those of you who haven't been driving hybrids for several years, one trick is to follow a semi. (I'm not talking about drafting, following too close or anything dangerous.) In stop and go traffic, find a semi that is trying to keep a steady speed. You can follow the truck, make gradual starts, use lots of EV mode, and it isn't your fault - other drivers are less likely to vent their rage at you. You can use this trick at normal speeds during heavy traffic on a freeway too, especially if you are trying to keep at or near the speed limit.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tijbbari
For those of you who haven't been driving hybrids for several years, one trick is to follow a semi. (I'm not talking about drafting, following too close or anything dangerous.) In stop and go traffic, find a semi that is trying to keep a steady speed. You can follow the truck, make gradual starts, use lots of EV mode, and it isn't your fault - other drivers are less likely to vent their rage at you. You can use this trick at normal speeds during heavy traffic on a freeway too, especially if you are trying to keep at or near the speed limit.
I would not stay behind a semi unless you are willing to have a lot of paint chips!!!