Air conditioner winding sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 07:28 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Air conditioner winding sound

just recently my air conditioning has started to make a whining sound or wInding sound Like a jet engine that's broken.i can turn the air conditioning off wait a second and turn it back on and sometimes the noise does not occur .the speed of the vehicle makes a huge difference in the level and kind of sound.sound does not exist when the air conditioning is off so I do not believe it has anything to do with the fan

Last edited by jimr5454; 06-24-2014 at 08:02 PM. Reason: add video link
Old 06-25-2014, 08:10 AM
Administrator
Default Re: Air conditioner winding sound

normal sounds! it doesn't happen all the time only occasionally correct? should not give drivability issues. A/C is cold as can be?

Old 06-25-2014, 10:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

It's ice cold .It gets pretty loud and if I turn it if and back on it goes away half the time bu usually comes back eventually .and its speed sensitive faster i go the lower it gets and it changes sounds meaning it isn't always the same some times is more aggressive sounding .

Old 06-25-2014, 10:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

Is the video I attached viewable?

Old 06-25-2014, 09:20 PM
Administrator

no worries there. its part of the nature of the beast. I noticed it sometimes but it goes away. I haven't heard it yet this summer. It does happen only in EV? or ICE? if it occurs in EV, then it could be the pump of the electric motor. but like I said it is normal. I heard it when I only had 200 miles and hear it occasionally at 170k miles.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

Interesting....it only happens in air conditioning mode.never thought that would be normal but it does blow really cold air and it doesn't always happen mostly on really warm days and when the air is on high but it didn't happen yesterday at all.ty for you help

Old 06-26-2014, 07:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Blower motor bearing? Something in vehicle audio system that changes wit hspeed compensared volume?

A 6 foot long 5/8" or 3/4" heater hose and one ear plug. Hold one end of the hose up to an ear wit hone hand. With the single plu ear with the ear plug in the other ear, use the free hand to move the opening of the section of heater hose.

This will locate the loudest source withing a couple inches. This works great on squeaky fan belts to isolate the single pulley.

Last edited by Hillbilly_Hybrid; 06-26-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

I will do that in the morning.ty.fyi it only does it with the a/c on unless there is a secondary fan I am unaware of?

Old 06-27-2014, 07:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The AC compressor is mounted to the engine block just like a conventional. Right front wheel well forward inside frame rail.

There are 2 blowers for HVAC heat and AC use both. One in front one in right rear.

From the video, it appears that the noise rises and falls with engine RPM not wheel speed.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

Its so tricky .today it didn't make barely any noise just a low version which may be normal .it's hard to see past the engine compartment voltage distributing componant . It's there any distant from a regular a/c compresor .

Quick Reply: Air conditioner winding sound

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands