Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   GM Hybrid Trucks, Cadillac Escalade Hybrid, Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid & GMC Yukon Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/)
-   -   Analysis of an 11 year old, 165K mile battery pack (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/analysis-11-year-old-165k-mile-battery-pack-31796/)

Tahoe_08 03-11-2019 03:34 AM

Re: Analysis of an 11 year old, 165K mile battery pack

I went on the freeway and it seemed to still have e-assist at 75mph it might be higher but there was a lot of CHP so I did not want to push my luck

class 0 gloves are required when taking it off

but once the bus bars are off the volts drop to 7-8 volts
but i have been shocked by 600volts DC (CCFL inverter )touched a live part I did not get burned or anything

but you can feel the power in your hand... not enough current in those things to do anything.
I really wish they had manual control over the EV and auto stop...and engine mode

this way the driver could optimize their fuel savings.. what if i'm on a down hill ? I could run on EV mode pretty much the whole way and run normal mode on the way back.. etc..

un like the traditional auto stop we got Electric power steering and AC etc

basically it's configured for areas with 25mph speed limit in mind.. and if you don't live in this areas you can't get the full benefits.

S Keith 03-11-2019 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Tahoe_08 (Post 267595)
I went on the freeway and it seemed to still have e-assist at 75mph it might be higher but there was a lot of CHP so I did not want to push my luck

class 0 gloves are required when taking it off

but once the bus bars are off the volts drop to 7-8 volts
but i have been shocked by 600volts DC (CCFL inverter )touched a live part I did not get burned or anything

but you can feel the power in your hand... not enough current in those things to do anything.
I really wish they had manual control over the EV and auto stop...and engine mode

this way the driver could optimize their fuel savings.. what if i'm on a down hill ? I could run on EV mode pretty much the whole way and run normal mode on the way back.. etc..

un like the traditional auto stop we got Electric power steering and AC etc

basically it's configured for areas with 25mph speed limit in mind.. and if you don't live in this areas you can't get the full benefits.

You're working on a lot of invalid assumptions - 1) GM spent a lot of time optimizing this system. You're highly unlikely to do better. 2) the usable capacity of the HV battery is about the same as the total capacity of the 12V battery under the hood (how far do you expect to drive on the 12V alone?) and 3) This car is 100% gas. Period. Every joule of propulsive energy comes from gas. Any "EV mode" battery consumption has to be replaced with either recovered kinetic energy or most often gas.

12V/70Ah = 840Wh of electrical energy
288V/6.5Ah (40% utilized) = 749Wh of electrical energy.

The HV battery is not for propulsion in the EV sense. It's for kinetic energy recovery, release, for supplemental power where the ICE is least efficient and for power during auto-stop.

Just because the ICE is running, it doesn't mean it's providing any significant power or burning much gas. On a downhill, the ICE is still running, but depending on the gradient, you may even be charging the HV battery.

If you were to record your drives, you would find that every single drive results in more capacity being put into the HV battery than being extracted - due to inefficiencies. Where did that come from? Gas.

Concerning the bolded bit above, that is patently untrue. I'm guessing you're new to hybrids. This type of "MOAR EV mode!" thinking is common for those that don't understand how they work.

Tahoe_08 03-11-2019 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by S Keith (Post 267604)
You're working on a lot of invalid assumptions - 1) GM spent a lot of time optimizing this system. You're highly unlikely to do better. 2) the usable capacity of the HV battery is about the same as the total capacity of the 12V battery under the hood (how far do you expect to drive on the 12V alone?) and 3) This car is 100% gas. Period. Every joule of propulsive energy comes from gas. Any "EV mode" battery consumption has to be replaced with either recovered kinetic energy or most often gas.

12V/70Ah = 840Wh of electrical energy
288V/6.5Ah (40% utilized) = 749Wh of electrical energy.

The HV battery is not for propulsion in the EV sense. It's for kinetic energy recovery, release, for supplemental power where the ICE is least efficient and for power during auto-stop.

Just because the ICE is running, it doesn't mean it's providing any significant power or burning much gas. On a downhill, the ICE is still running, but depending on the gradient, you may even be charging the HV battery.

If you were to record your drives, you would find that every single drive results in more capacity being put into the HV battery than being extracted - due to inefficiencies. Where did that come from? Gas.

Concerning the bolded bit above, that is patently untrue. I'm guessing you're new to hybrids. This type of "MOAR EV mode!" thinking is common for those that don't understand how they work.

ev mode is good for 2 miles. if iwas able to get it to 40-45 then ICE kicks in it would benifit so much more ..

my city speed limits arr 40 to 60mph with traffic lights. initial start is when you waste the most amount of gas. if iwas able to to get to 40mpg before ice kicks in id be crusing at or near optimal speed for maximum
​​​ MPG

dnt1010 03-16-2019 08:49 AM

These GM Two Mode SUV vehicles are heavy 5,270 to 5,527 lbs curb weight. It requires a lot more energy to make it move than a Prius (aka penalty box) which weighs 2,932 lbs about 1/2 as much. Best I can tell the GM Two Mode control systems utilizes a good portion of the battery systems potential as programmed from GM. it seems that after a few years the battery pack is pretty much USED UP. If you started utilizing even more of the battery potential below the threshold SOC and charging above it you would probably only have your stellar performance for a short period of time and then have a trashed battery pack............ Now that I have gotten interested in Electric vehicles I am thinking about ordering myself a Tesla Y SUV they look pretty cool.

Tahoe_08 03-21-2019 06:25 AM

no the problem with AC motors is the in rush current I don't think they dealt with it with large enough capacitors 60KW and the inrush peak current will be 65-70kw or so. yeah it is PWM controlled

I know gm claims it's a delicate system as they claim it is
But if that is the case why is the DC to DC converter is 185amps (13/15v DC) to run accessories
185amps is pretty beefy system considering 145/160 amp is a "stock unit"...

The A/C runs straight off the 300VAC 3 phase (it's more reliable this way anyways then running a lower voltage air conditioning)..

a large 350V capacitor (does not have to be a single cap)(has to be rated higher then the input since that will be about 320-325v) buffer system would help in the longevity of the battery. placed in parallel with the battery ..

??? 09-05-2022 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jaime (Post 267080)
Since I'm not sure if sharing the actual schematic image is allowed and I don't want this post to be deleted, I'll just share the knowledge I gained by looking at the service manual:

Battery Fan Connector (FC)
Pin # - Name - Wire Color
Pin 1 - "Not Used" - D-GN
Pin 2 - "B+" - PK/D-BU
Pin 3 - Ground - BK/YE
Pin 4 - PWM Input - D-GN/BK

BECM X2 Connector
Pin # - Name - Wire Color
Pin 2 - PWM output - D-GN/BK
Pin 3 - "Not Used" - D-GN
Pin 7 - Fan Relay Control - WH/GN

Signal Descriptions
  • The battery control module (BECM) grounds a relay to apply 12V to the fan on FC Pin 2.
    • This would need to done externally if we wanted to even command the fan to 100% all the time, not just when the BECM decides the battery pack needs to be cooled.
  • The BECM also sends a PWM signal to the fan on FC Pin 4.
    • This signal is pulled up to 5V inside the fan. The BECM grounds the line to generate a pulse width modulated signal to control the fan speed.
  • The ground wire on FC Pin 3 connects to the battery case somewhere.
  • The wire on FC Pin 1 that you would expect to be a fan speed output signal says "Not Used" both in the Fan and the BECM pins.
    • This "Not Used" may not be true because in the battery cooling system description it says "The battery vent fan motor also supplies an additional 5 volt signal that indicates vent fan speed back to the BECM, the lower the voltage the greater the fan speed."
    • The P0A81 trouble code will be set if the fan has been commanded to 35% or higher and the "Fan control signal monitor voltage to BECM is greater than 2.3 volts or less than 0.5 volt for 5 seconds."
    • The P0BC1 trouble code will be set if the "fan has transitioned from either ON to OFF or from OFF to ON" and the voltage is above 0.9V for 1 second.
Possible Control Method #1
In order to run the fans at 100% with the flick of a switch and not throw error codes, it would be necessary to come up with a circuit that disconnects the BECM PWM signal, the fan speed feedback signal, and possibly also the relay control line from the BECM.
  • The PWM signal input at the fan would have to be grounded to make it run at 100%. If the BECM monitors the PWM output, it would need to be pulled up to 5V with a resistor to make the BECM think the fan is still connected.
  • The speed signal input from the fan to the BECM would need to be simulated to make the BECM think the fan is running at the commanded speed. This may be the showstopper, unless we use a microcontroller (Arduino for example) to read the PWM signal duty cycle and feed back an appropriate fake fan speed voltage to the BECM so it will think the fan is running at the commanded speed.
    • If the fan ever had a real failure while our circuit is active, the BECM would never know. The microcontroller would also need to detect this and stop fooling the BECM when S&@t hits the fan. :D
  • The fan relay control signal may not need to be disconnected if the BECM does not monitor the voltage at the output. Simply connecting it to ground externally may be enough.

Possible Control Method #2
Coming someday. Need to think some more.

old thread but this is interesting. cooling seems to be everything. I haven't had mine apart, but do we know if this is a brushed or brushless cooling fan? being gm I wonder if you can cross reference it to a newer brushless fan, or at least one that's designed for more rpm per the given voltage. we used to call this kv in the rc world. so it would then put out the same info to the bcm just spin faster giving the same pwm signal and using more power. also they make boxes now for cars with dead headed fuel systems, controlled by pwm, they can step up the voltage at wot for more fuel flow needed and then return to normal. it's adjustable, so you might be able to adjust it just before it sets a code. most 12v fans will handle 16v without hurting anything.

on another cooling thought. again I've not had the battery apart but is there enough room to put very thin aluminum or copper plates between each pack, and have it stick out some as a heat sink, using the same amount of air already there, just cool the center packs better? I did this once to an rc plane motor, it was very overly proped for its size to make the plane fly well, it would come down over temp, but a quick flat piece of aluminum between the motor and the mount, and some cuts to make fins. there was no noticeable drag flying but came down well within normal Temps.

just a thought I had while reading thru.

dnt1010 09-14-2022 08:00 PM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gre...eb835235c8.jpg
Zero room between modules for a cooling plate