Battery Overheat clarification

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 06:09 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Battery Overheat clarification

I posted earlier that I got a "Service Hybrid System" message on my Tahoe, which indicated a "Battery Overheat" condition. The service technician did not find anything wrong with the system but found an errant neck pillow floating around the rear seats had blocked the cooling fan intake vent. I indicated this vent was under the rear seat.

I was slightly misleading in that the cooling fan vent is NOT UNDER the seat and the pillow did not migrate there.

In fact there is are 2 vents located on the forward facing fascia between the floor and the rear seat on both the driver and passenger side. Thus anything left on the floor can become lodged up against these vents blocking airflow.

So Tahoe/Yukon Hybrid owners must be NEAT as well.

Neck pillows, blankets, snow brushes, snow scrapers, trash, etc. should NOT be placed on the rear seat or rear seat floor.

Last edited by DJWorm; 11-23-2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:57 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default I assumed you meant the floor vents...

I keep everything off the floor in all my cars.....anything loose in a car becomes a projectile in a collision!

Old 11-23-2009, 07:29 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery Overheat clarification

When I drive my Corvette in competition such as in Solo II AutoX or high speed Time Trials everything that is loose is removed from the car.

However when driving the Tahoe especially on long trips in the winter there are certain things that are required to be carried in the car:
- Ice Scraper
- Snow Brush
- Extra gallon of Windshield Washer (de-ice)
- Short handled shovel
- Snow chains if traversing some western passes
- Road Emergency Kit (flares, reflective triangles, jumper cables, etc.)
- small Tool Kit
- First Aid Kit
- Blanket
- Boots
- winter clothing for outside or hiking (parka, gloves, hat)
- Neck & Bone pillows (2)
- small Cooler
- bag of traction enhancer (Kitty litter, sand or road salt)
- possibly a small 2.5 gal. plastic gas can (if in remote areas)
- shotguns & rifles (encased) ifhunting
- ammo box & bird dog(s) if hunting
- dog box(s) if hunting or transporting dogs on long trips
- Maps
- Tarp and tie downs for game carrier during hunting season
- occasionaly a small step stool, so when we take my elderly mother along, she can gain entrance to vehicle.

The First Aid Kit resides in the glove compartment.
The small cooler fits snuggly between the center console and the rear seat
The neck pillows and the blanket sometimes reside ON the rear seat
The ice scraper & maps reside in the drivers door pocket
The snow brush usually resides on the rear seat floor but now has been relegated to the rear compartment.
The center console contains the operators manuals, registration & insurance cards, handicap placard and legally carried firearm.
Radar detector fastened to windshield
Cell phone is in center console pocket.
Everything else AND luggage is in the rear compartment.
Drinks in cup holders when appropriate.
Not all items and equipment are in vehicle at all times, varies with mission.

Nothing on dash
Nothing under front seats.
No trash left in vehicle.
Third row back seats removed during summer and hunting season.
Third row back seats installed for winter driving after hunting season.

Where would you put things?

Last edited by DJWorm; 11-23-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:47 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Well, I think it takes something soft and fluffy to block the vents. Believe me, everything you could imagine has been on the floor of my Tahoe. I thought the carwash worker was going to vomit last time he saw the floor...
...but even on our long trip, with bags of snacks, water bottles, etc. all over the floor, we did not have a battery issue. So, don't get all extreme, just use some sense in where the pillows and blankets go.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

Of course I do and I just wanted to let everyone else know....about the vents....as they are not an obvious thing.

I just thought it funny that JET1's solution was to have everything fastened down all the time or carry nothing at all in the vehicle.

I suppose I could carry NOTHING in the Tahoe....but then why would I need it? ....I could have bought a SMART Car instead.
On the other hand I could just wear my racing helmet and NIKE Pro Combat sports wear body armor when I drive the Tahoe with everything in it that I need from time to ime..

The point is reasonableness causes us to sometimes carry unattached articles in a vehicle. I can just see me telling my wife she can't get in her vehicle unless she leaves her purse behind.

The main point is keep the frigg'n vents unobstructed.

Last edited by DJWorm; 11-23-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:46 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default I carry a TON OF STUFF...

in the way back (third row seats) but It is under a cargo cover and a hold down net fastened to the 3rd row seat brackets. I was talking about the ceramic cup full of pens and pencils sitting on the dash of your car!

(actually had a friend that did that.....I told her I wasn't riding with her till she 86'd the cup to the trunk...she didn't get it...and I didn't get it either! nothing like going to the ER after a crash with a pencil stuck in your forehead and your front teeth knocked out by a ceramic coffee cup!)

Old 11-23-2009, 07:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks DJWorm for letting us know about your experience and for warning us to not obstructing those vents.

I do a lot of driving to the vacation home in the mountains and the three kids have blankets, pillows, jackets, etc. that end up on the floor so I will keep an eye out for that.

As for projectiles, I also keep an eye out and try to take reasonable precautions. If safety was the sole concern, I wouldn't be driving through the mountains in the winter to the vacation home, riding the snowmobile, quads, etc. Some things are worth the risk and make life worth living. The test should be reasonableness - not perfection - or you risk being obsessive and making other's feel bad - like telling your wife to batten down her purse.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Thanks DJWorm for letting us know your experiences.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yes, thanks DJWorm! This is something that should be in the Owner's Manual and also a tip from the salesman delivering the vehicle. It is common to Hybrid vehicles and is something that is addressed as stated above by Toyoto when you purchase a Prius. I am surprised that I find nothing on it within my documentation for my Silverado Hybrid.

If someone comes across the reference to this, please post it in this thread. Also, all of you should mention this to GM as a recommendation through their "new device" website:

http://www.gm.com/explore/technology...ions/index.jsp

I have a ton of stuff in my truck too and don't have the third row or the trunk area. I do have the tonneau cover over the pickup bed but don't store normal stuff back there. You can't lower the back seat if you put much stuff behind the traction battery cover (or on top of it).

Old 11-26-2009, 04:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Nice Boat Txav8r.

Quick Reply: Battery Overheat clarification

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands