Battery - Test, Recondition, Replace - GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars


Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 12-08-2016, 09:35 AM
Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10
Default Battery - Test, Recondition, Replace

My wish is to accomplish multiple items from this single post.

Background: Have a 2008 Yukon Hybrid with original 300V battery. Currently experiencing the engine revs, slipping and stalls. While the codes do not point to the main battery pack, Thanks to Dirtrunner21 we think we finally have a path forward. He was experiencing the same behavior and replacement of the 300V battery was the resolution. Here are his comments: https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f...09/#post260057

In addition, we've had the truck at the local dealer numerous times without any clear indication they understand the real issue. Tired of paying for minor league services and wanting to keep this truck for several more years, I have the following questions:

What is the best test for the condition of the battery? Does it have to be done at the dealer or can an independent hybrid location provide the service.

We're in the Dallas/Ft Worth Metroplex - are there any recommended shops who are the real deal when it comes to hybrids?

If it does come down to battery replacement, are the following viable (and what are the advantages/disadvantages):
Reconditioning existing battery?
Replacing with a rebuilt battery?
Replacing with a new GMC battery?
Replacing with an aftermarket battery?

If an aftermarket battery - any recommendations?

Many Thanks,
Steve
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-01-2017, 02:33 PM
Active Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 145
Default Re: Battery - Test, Recondition, Replace

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanZylin View Post
My wish is to accomplish multiple items from this single post.

Background: Have a 2008 Yukon Hybrid with original 300V battery. Currently experiencing the engine revs, slipping and stalls. While the codes do not point to the main battery pack, Thanks to Dirtrunner21 we think we finally have a path forward. He was experiencing the same behavior and replacement of the 300V battery was the resolution. Here are his comments: https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f...09/#post260057

In addition, we've had the truck at the local dealer numerous times without any clear indication they understand the real issue. Tired of paying for minor league services and wanting to keep this truck for several more years, I have the following questions:

What is the best test for the condition of the battery? Does it have to be done at the dealer or can an independent hybrid location provide the service.

We're in the Dallas/Ft Worth Metroplex - are there any recommended shops who are the real deal when it comes to hybrids?

If it does come down to battery replacement, are the following viable (and what are the advantages/disadvantages):
Reconditioning existing battery?
Replacing with a rebuilt battery?
Replacing with a new GMC battery?
Replacing with an aftermarket battery?

If an aftermarket battery - any recommendations?

Many Thanks,
Steve
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-01-2017, 02:38 PM
Active Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 145
Default Re: Battery - Test, Recondition, Replace

[My fealer has tolde my hybrid battery pavk is bad $3370 installed i have found used ones for ALLOT less but unsure of that route .my truck trans slipped and jerked and didnt like going from electric to engine at all then it was fine for a few days all sorts of engine codes thrown so had to take it in .gm says it is the battary pack .seems like allot of money but love the truck even almost 200,000 miles ot is a joy to drive when running correct .any ideas or comments on price dealership is charging me .. i will be giving a yes or no tommarow.truck is still frivable for sure just feeling un reliable.. [email protected]
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-02-2017, 04:43 PM
Hillbilly_Hybrid's Avatar
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 800
Default Re: Battery - Test, Recondition, Replace

That's about $800 for installation. How many hours do they quote on that job?


A reasonable mechanic could do the job in two hours.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-03-2017, 01:54 PM
Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10
Default Re: Battery - Test, Recondition, Replace

So... the jerking and stalling was getting to the point that something had to be done. GMC dealer quoted $4,600 for a new battery pack installed. I live in the DFW area and found a shop that specializes in Hybrids. They quoted $3,300 installed. We're at 165,000 miles and love the truck as well.

Glad I did it. Solved all problems. No stalls, no jerking, no slips.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-13-2017, 11:13 AM
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 32
Default Re: Battery - Test, Recondition, Replace

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanZylin View Post
So... the jerking and stalling was getting to the point that something had to be done. GMC dealer quoted $4,600 for a new battery pack installed. I live in the DFW area and found a shop that specializes in Hybrids. They quoted $3,300 installed. We're at 165,000 miles and love the truck as well.

Glad I did it. Solved all problems. No stalls, no jerking, no slips.
How is the performance now? Whats the name of the company? What warranty did you have? Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-13-2017, 11:38 AM
Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10
Default Re: Battery - Test, Recondition, Replace

The truck has been running great. Really. We're getting back to having the pure electric drive pop at every light along with extra help with acceleration.

Shop that did the work was Fifth Gear in Lewisville, TX
https://fifthgear.biz/

The warranty was for a year and I believe I'm approaching a year. Still glad I had the work done.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-13-2017, 11:59 AM
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 32
Default Re: Battery - Test, Recondition, Replace

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanZylin View Post
The truck has been running great. Really. We're getting back to having the pure electric drive pop at every light along with extra help with acceleration.

Shop that did the work was Fifth Gear in Lewisville, TX
https://fifthgear.biz/

The warranty was for a year and I believe I'm approaching a year. Still glad I had the work done.
Thanks! It was a rebuilt battery and not a new one right? I'm up for a replacement on my 2010 with 156K on it so I'm going crazy deciding on the dealer for $3800 or hybrid specialists that come out for $2900.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-13-2017, 01:39 PM
Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10
Default Re: Battery - Test, Recondition, Replace

It was a new one. At the end of the day, our goal is to drive the truck to 250k or greater, thus I didn't want to take the chance on a rebuilt.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-13-2017, 07:27 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 1,865
Default Re: Battery - Test, Recondition, Replace

Quote:
Originally Posted by v90hamm77 View Post
Thanks! It was a rebuilt battery and not a new one right? I'm up for a replacement on my 2010 with 156K on it so I'm going crazy deciding on the dealer for $3800 or hybrid specialists that come out for $2900.
FWIW, I regard myself as a "Hybrid Specialist". I regard the work that I do to be the best possible given the raw materials and equipment. I am 100% certain that the equipment I use is superior to the "canned" reconditioning equipment available on the market (systems used by The Hybrid Shop, etc., and other commercial hybrid battery systems).

Every pack I build is the best I possibly can. I have built in the vicinity of 100 packs. I offer a longer warranty than anyone in my area. I have a very low warranty rate, and all my warranties are attributable to process deficiencies that have been corrected for over a year. I don't have a single warranty that hasn't already been "fixed" by correcting the cause. 40% of my warranties were voluntary replacements BEFORE the customer had an issue because I was able to determine that an issue on one would be an issue on others.

The point?

I can promise you that nothing *I* can do is worth $2900 to you. I can promise you that nothing *I* can provide gives you comparable value to a new pack at $3800. Period.

At $2,900, you should HOPE you are getting a low-mileage salvage pack that was recently pulled from a wreck and that NO ONE has ever cracked it open and screwed it up.

If your goal is long term ownership, the best VALUE is ALWAYS a new pack.

The likelihood of going 100K miles with a new battery is VERY high.

The likelihood of going 100K miles with a "reconditioned" battery is zero. You WILL have to deal with it again - likely inside of 3 years unless of course it's a low mileage (like 20K) salvage battery.

Good luck,

Steve
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Topic Starter Forum Replies Last Post
05 HCH battery: replace/recondition? Low usage affecting battery life? ecs Honda Civic Hybrid 3 05-06-2016 09:40 AM
How much does it COST to REPLACE HCH2 Battery? jscurrie Honda Civic Hybrid 32 05-18-2014 09:26 AM
Should I replace my battery or buy a new car? namaste Honda Civic Hybrid 7 07-31-2007 03:12 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:30 AM.