blackstone lab UOA(used oil analysis)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 11:31 PM
Administrator
Default blackstone lab UOA(used oil analysis)

have you guys used the blackstone labs for UOA? I have been using mobil 1 5w/30 EP for the escalade and the UOA showed a lot of base stocks remaining yet there were high amounts of copper. the TBN showed great numbers but the copper is the issue?

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/do-i-need-a-tbn.php

maybe because it is brand new. next UOA, still the copper was high. any input?

Old 04-23-2011, 08:47 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: blackstone lab UOA(used oil analysis)

How many miles???
I don't have my oil analyzed but know quite a few that do. Each one having done it since new saw a whole lot of extra in the oil the first few times. Especially when driven gently, they saw wear for longer. The ones who took an almost abusive approach to break-in saw the bearings and rings seal up and wear in right away. Don't baby an engine, especially new, and see what your results are after a coulple changes. Also, I'm not sure that the Mobil 1 Extended Performance oils are full synthetic. Since we may see more than 7500 miles on one change, and the car is set from the factory to run at 210 degrees I use full synthetic. It may help with lubricity some.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Administrator

All mobil 1 are full synthetic. The extended performance is mobil 1 plus more supersyn hence oil change interval of the mobil "1" extended performance is guaranteed every 15k miles.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:52 PM
Enthusiast

I guess I was thinking of the Mobil Clean line which is a conventional oil...
So, how many changes have you done?

Old 04-24-2011, 09:38 PM
Administrator

I started measuring at 20k miles, then every 10k miles. there is decreasing trend for copper but it is still very high. maybe the active fuel management when the 4 cylinders are stop and restarted causing the oil to measure it? or the supersyn of mobil 1 leaching the copper components? will try again after 10k miles and if it is still high, either change to a different synthetic oil.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Administrator

I have used mobil 1 synthetics before and know the advantages of the extended performance hence I chose it for my hybrid, having used it in turbocharged vehicles as well as honda engines. now recently it has been certified as a GM dexos approved oil. just surprised about this findings.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:51 PM
Enthusiast

hi guys, Many people like to say that you can run Syn oils for 10,000 miles easy. And That may not be the case as most "major" brand Syn oils don't even claim to be long OCI (oil change interval) oil like Edge does. 5,000-7500 miles would be more reasonable.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'm also trying to change the oil on the trucks between 30 to 50 percent left in the Oil Life indicator. Basing my action in the long-short trips that oil change have endure. Longer highway trips may see 30% oil indicator to change it. City driving, I'll change it at 50%

I just feel not right having an engine starting so often without a Prelube pressure on it !!!

Is not as bad as a cold start, but is enogh time to get most of the oil to the oil pan.

A small electric pump acting just before the engine start, will just ease my mind.

This engine start procedure, will defenetly show more wear and tear than a normal LSx engine in another truck with same miles. There's no such a thing as free lunch

Old 02-08-2014, 04:21 PM
Administrator

update! now at 154k miles with hardly any change in drivability.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:23 PM
Administrator

here is the original lab result..

Attached Thumbnails blackstone lab UOA(used oil analysis)-image-1128380657.jpg  

Quick Reply: blackstone lab UOA(used oil analysis)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands