Can police items be added ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 07:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default Can police items be added ??

Well I took the tahoe to the cop shop installer...he looks under the hood and says "oh"...problem I ask..says we haven't done one of these yet...he wants to look at the batts under the seat..can't get seat up..Good..he calls the chevy dealer, comes back and said no installation of police stuff on vehicle..wait the salesman said it would be ok after asking himself...chevy dealer said they are going to call corp. and see if it is possible...anyone have any ideas...going to have installed one radio, radar, Mobile data terminal (lap top comp), video camera, 9 led lights, 4 strobes, rifle rack, you get the pic..

Old 08-18-2009, 08:16 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default short answer yes...

the 12 volt system is the same as a regular car and they really dont want to dick around with the 300 v under the seat.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-article-5667/

im getting my light bar put on in the next 2 weeks...dont need take downs or anything else but im putting strobes in my grille and back window, all will be removable as it will only be used this way a couple of times a year unless the s**t hits the fan!

http://forums.blueline.ca/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18381

http://www.govtech.com/gt/662088

http://greenerworking.com/fuel-savin...rid-squad-cars

Last edited by jet1; 08-18-2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:56 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Can police items be added ??

Yes. If anyone says "Hmmm... let me look at the hybrid battery, where is it?", quickly take your car away from them. If they aren't 100% trained on the system, they have no business looking at it from any closer than six feet. It will kill them. No maybes, no "oops, I won't do that again". It can deliver 300V at 200A, no problem. It will fry them and they won't find anything inside their corpse to autopsy.
Also, you don't want them breaking it.

GM designed it with an old-fashioned 12V system, instead of a more-efficient 42V system, so there will be no issue hooking into the 12V side with all of the legacy junk (lights, cameras, DVDs, displays, etc.). There is a ton of 12V connections throughout the vehicle and a 110V outlet in-back. If they can't work it out with that, find someone else.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dare8601
<snip> you get the pic..
Not really. Grammatical english would make your whole post an easier read, help responders. As far as getting the picture, no, I'm a little puzzled. Are you some sort of fledgling vigilante?

Old 08-20-2009, 12:29 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default its going to be a police cruiser

Originally Posted by Mendel Leisk
Not really. Grammatical english would make your whole post an easier read, help responders. As far as getting the picture, no, I'm a little puzzled. Are you some sort of fledgling vigilante?
his agency got a deal.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Enthusiast

jet1, the install went off without any problems...there were two breakers installed..one at the batt. and one inside by the console...I went with all led, no light bar...I have to turn off the breaker inside the car when I finish the shift. I was told by the installer that less amp's was suggested by Chevy tech. Tech. even provided much info. needed..spoke with a Ranking Gm last week via phone..beat around the bush saying next year a Hybrid Police Package may be ready..

Old 09-02-2009, 08:17 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default great thanks!

I'm fighting with a federal signal light bar right now also I bought some individual LEDs with controllers that are lighter capable for the grill and back window. I'm hoping to have the light bar on this weekend. will post a pic ...if successful. the breaker idea from the battery is a good suggestion and if I use my controller box I will do that. As my stuff needs to be removable its a little more complex to sort out but I think I have it on the run.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:23 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default great thanks!

I'm fighting with a federal signal light bar right now also I bought some individual LEDs with controllers that are lighter capable for the grill and back window. I'm hoping to have the light bar on this weekend. will post a pic ...if successful. the breaker idea from the battery is a good suggestion and if I use my controller box I will do that. As my stuff needs to be removable its a little more complex to sort out but I think I have it on the run.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:46 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default just finished my lightbar install

the 12v side of this car is just like any other! light bar wiring and control head wiring went in just like it was supposed to. The only hard part about the install was that my roof bar is removable as I didn't want to have any holes in my roof. I had to engineer the wiring a but but its all hidden in the car so when not in use it looks like any other yukon. Sorry no pics yet but I will have some in a couple of days.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Enthusiast

jet1, did you install a breaker..I was told this needs to be done just in case something back fires....I have one at the batt. and one inside next to the console...no problems here...I'm having a Federal Rumbler installed this friday..only uses 20 amps..

Quick Reply: Can police items be added ??

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands