chrome clad wheels flaking?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 10:09 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default chrome clad wheels flaking?

I have a possible issue with the 18" chrome clad aluminum wheels on my truck. I found one flaking chrome about the size of a nickle off the back edge of the wheel into the visible cavity. They replaced it under warranty. Dealer said it was an $810 wheel plus labor to GM. I had such good service, ease of cleaning, and appearance after 135K miles on the old truck that I am a bit worried about these. Anyone else had any issues with them. Also rubbed another one in a car wash and peeled the chrome from the outside bead and knocked off the weight. That was my fault but the peeling chrome was not from what I rubbed against, it was from the guide in the wash moving the weight around the wheel. Seems weak to me.