Cng

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 06:42 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default Cng--UPDATE!

I signed the contract and work starts next fri (18) they are going to photograph the process and there may be a full fledged article written by me if this works out....final cost will be 6500.00 with custom tanks placed in the spare tire area. I really hope this works out as the increased cost means I have to keep the yukon for 5 years to make it pay for itself (based on current fuel costs)!
the adventure begins....!

I am getting close to adding a CNG conversion to my 08 yukon. I have done a LOT of homework AND I believe that it will pay for itself after 3 years. The system will not conflict with the hybrid in any way, its just a supplemental fuel supply and after all my research and working with this company http://www.cngsolutions.net/specials
I am satisfied that that this will work. after all someone needs to be willing to take the plunge. I will try to post pics as the conversion happens....wish me luck, I will own the FIRST 3 mode hybrid!

Last edited by jet1; 11-12-2011 at 10:09 AM. Reason: added information
Old 11-03-2011, 07:07 PM
aka soulsea
Default Re: Cng

You sir are a pioneer!

Can't wait to see how this ambitious project unfolds.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hope your not in california? If you were in california then from what I have checked into so far, there are four companies here that will sale + install the CNG conversion kit's for car's in general, But here's the kicker, There are only two of those companies that are certified by the california air resources board (CARB) and if we have the system installed by any of the non certified CARB companies in or out of this state then the system would be considered illegal for uses here in california.

Are you going to do the 3000 psi cng home filling station or the 3600 psi unit?

Looks like this guy did a normal tahoe.
http://arkansasnews.com/2009/10/26/f...ation-a-first/

I did a little bit of checking into this system to put on a new 2010 chrysler town and country with the 4.0l engine.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:36 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Keep us posted. I worked on a 440 Thermoquad Dodge motorhome back in the day.

A company called Petrolane had a dual fuel system using propane. I put a larger hydraulic cam, medium rise single plane intake on it and 1967 high perf heads. I'm glad I didn't pay for it. It ran great on gas when I was done. However the propane "carburetor" shut off about 40% total air flow and ruined the power.

Heads up on flow restrictions.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Good luck.

In round numbers, what type of cost are you looking at?

Old 11-06-2011, 04:34 PM
FLY NAVY!

Originally Posted by LakeSilverado
Good luck.

In round numbers, what type of cost are you looking at?

5k give or take a bit. all plumbing is custom stainless steel takes a week to install start to finish tanks (2) will be custom made to fit where the silly resonator used to be. hopefully I will have all the details this week. My reading of the CARB nonsense in calif. is that I could find nothing newer than 92 or so on the current laws. If anyone has a link to more current info please share it! thanks

Old 11-07-2011, 04:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

I had a system installed in a 2002 Tahoe from Technocarb. It worked Flawless.
You could not tell the difference in performance changing from LPG to Gas and the other way around. The tune in the LPG injectors was great to compensate.

Now CNG has lees performance than LPG. But I guees technology has also evolve since then.
One thing you'll never hear again is Knock/ping from the engine.
Has better Octane but less BTU than Gasoline.
http://www.propanecarbs.com/propan3.jpg

One thing as a tip will be that CNG/LPG systems are great, but the only thing you must have in top notch is the electrical system ie Spark Plugs, Spark plug cables and all the related ignition components. Other than that is pure Joy.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:27 AM
FLY NAVY!

THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK! that chart is interesting,,,,still waiting for a callback from the company about 1 last question

Originally Posted by Time Hybrid
I had a system installed in a 2002 Tahoe from Technocarb. It worked Flawless.
You could not tell the difference in performance changing from LPG to Gas and the other way around. The tune in the LPG injectors was great to compensate.

Now CNG has lees performance than LPG. But I guees technology has also evolve since then.
One thing you'll never hear again is Knock/ping from the engine.
Has better Octane but less BTU than Gasoline.
http://www.propanecarbs.com/propan3.jpg

One thing as a tip will be that CNG/LPG systems are great, but the only thing you must have in top notch is the electrical system ie Spark Plugs, Spark plug cables and all the related ignition components. Other than that is pure Joy.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

one question. I remember my system always start on gasoline, and automatically turn in a few seconds (maybe 5-10) to LPG.

If the nature of the system is to turn on Gasoline and then turn to NGV mode. How you gonna handle the auto-star part from the hybrids?

Old 11-27-2011, 04:16 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default Re: Cng..doh sorry answerd in the other thread

:p
Originally Posted by time hybrid
one question. I remember my system always start on gasoline, and automatically turn in a few seconds (maybe 5-10) to lpg.

If the nature of the system is to turn on gasoline and then turn to ngv mode. How you gonna handle the auto-star part from the hybrids?