CNG----FAILED so far

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 03:46 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default CNG----FAILED so far...UPDATE

they cannot mount tanks under the car and give me enough volume to make it worth while. they CAN mount tanks in the back but I would lose 14" of the rear floor (4 tanks across and slightly higher than the folded seats) with a custom built cover it would not be readily apparent that there was any difference but I would lose several cubic feet of cargo and also the use of the rear most seats (which I took out when I got the car and stored in a closet) I can't quite decide what to do.....
I have decided to put four tanks across the rear floor and sacrifice the space a bit. I think it is the socially responsible thing to do for many reasons and the rear seat loss isn't a big thing. Now the yukon has to last 6 years more for sure! its on the schedule for the 19th of dec. so I will report more then

Last edited by jet1; 12-01-2011 at 08:05 PM. Reason: update title
Old 11-28-2011, 05:07 PM
aka soulsea
Default Re: CNG----FAILED so far

Well of course do what you want ... but it may be that the universe is trying to tell you something.
Some folks listen to those hints, others see them as a dare.

Btw, why are you doing a new thread for each post?
Might be easier to keep track of the project under one thread.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:15 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default Lol!

Old 11-28-2011, 05:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Did they at least get it to run? The packaging of the tanks is always problematic. Sorry to hear that.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:09 PM
aka soulsea

I don't know anything about CNG conversions ... but don't they normally remove the gas tank and convert the vehicle to CNG from gasoline?
I would imagine that's where they would normally install the new CNG tanks.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:41 PM
FLY NAVY!

Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Hybrid
Did they at least get it to run? The packaging of the tanks is always problematic. Sorry to hear that.
running isn't a problem...just storage.....what to do.... what to do

Old 11-28-2011, 08:41 PM
Administrator

I noticed a cng powered bus in the big city, not sure where but it had a giant appendage beside or on top of the bus.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:44 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default nope

Originally Posted by HyHoe
I don't know anything about CNG conversions ... but don't they normally remove the gas tank and convert the vehicle to CNG from gasoline?
I would imagine that's where they would normally install the new CNG tanks.
it is converted to a 3 mode gas/electric/cng engine always starts on gas then switches to cng,,,,if in electric mode the car works like it normally does the added dimension is that after it starts on gas it switches over to cng

Old 11-29-2011, 04:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Not familiar with the underside of your ride - where is the gas tank in relation to where you want to put the CNG tanks? Is it possible to replace with a smaller tank to make room for more CNG? You'd cut your total capacity some, but might have room for CNG plus some gas?

Old 11-29-2011, 08:08 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default Re: CNG----

Originally Posted by LakeSilverado
Not familiar with the underside of your ride - where is the gas tank in relation to where you want to put the CNG tanks? Is it possible to replace with a smaller tank to make room for more CNG? You'd cut your total capacity some, but might have room for CNG plus some gas?
the tanks are 11" in diameter so there is little option for location. If I put tanks in the rear I might as well put 4 in across the back floor giving me approx. 20 gallons (GGE gallons of gasoline equivalent) I will lose about 12" to 13" of the cargo area depth at the rear hatch and lose my rear most seats (the ones that have been in my closet since I bought the car.) When the rear seats are folded down it becomes level as they raise the rear cargo area floor by that much. To do this requires financial and practical decisions I will have to keep the car 6 more years to have the system pay for itself and I will have to give up some cargo space. I will be able to run on a fuel that costs in my area 1.27 a gallon (subsidized) and I will reduce my carbon footprint SIGNIFICANTLY not to mention loosing the chains of opec from around my feet!